Upgrading from Active Social & AF

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM
I have been putting off the inevitable task of migrating from Active Social & Forums to the current version DNN & Active Forums.

Here is what I'm currently running:

DNN 6.1.2
ACTIVE FORUMS 4.3.8
ACTIVE SOCIAL 1.9.6

Before I start I want to make sure I'm performing the upgrade in the correct order.

1) Back-up site and database
2) Upgrade DNN to 7.1
3) Install current AF 5 release
4) Instal AS Migration Module
5) Run migration script
6) Check portal settings to make sure profile page is linked properly.
7) Replace old Active Social modules with corresponding DNN modules.

Is this the correct order and process? Does anyone have any helpful tips?

Based on what I read on various forums I understand I should not have high hopes of the migration script doing a great job of migrating. If the migration does not go well, will the forums still be linked to the corresponding groups or will I have to create new groups and manually link the old forum posts to them? I understand you can still link the Forums to the groups, correct?

I'm not a software/web genius, I just figure out how to get things done.

Helpful suggestions on how to make this upgrade less painful would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fred
Coordinator
Nov 27, 2013 at 3:44 AM
That sounds about right. I would highly recommend copying your existing site to a test server and perform the upgrade at least once as a test run. There are a lot of "gotchas" that you might run into. And you're going to want to document them all so you can make the actual live upgrade go as smooth as possible. The move from 6.1/AS to 7.x is significant even without adding Active Forums to the mix.

You are correct that the upgrade tool probably will not bring over all the information. It seems to be hit or miss. I'm pretty sure that group memberships will come over ok but the other information is pretty iffy. There is no conversion tool available for private message functionality, so if you were using them in AS, you may want to leave the old AS PM system up and running for a while so people can access their old PM's.

And there is some support for social groups in Active Forums 5, but it is not as complete as it was in AF 4 w/Active Social. Unfortunately, that's one of the areas where 5.x took a step back from 4.x. You may (or may not) be happy with how it works depending on what you're trying to do.

Good luck! I think you'll find the short term pain worth it. DNN 7 is a huge step forward from 6.1.
Nov 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll let my hosting company (3essentials) do the DNN upgrade and once they accomplish that I'll work on the migration and AF upgrade. I'm not a web guy by trade, so I'll have to read-up on how to transfer the site over to a test server.

The site has not been very active as of late so I doubt users will miss their PM's id they have any.

Thanks again!
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I installed the AS migration module and attempted the migration. When I click on each task, a new window appears with a button to click. When I click on that button nothing seems to happen, Is that normal? I went through all five but I do not think the migration worked. I know the profile photos did not transfer, but it looks like the journal items may have.

I apologize because I know this has nothing to do with AF, but I doubt I would get a reply anywhere else.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2013 at 3:03 AM
It's been a while since I ran the upgrade tool, but from what I remember, it did work that way. If the journal entries came across for you, then you got further than I did.