Active Forums 5.1 RC1 Posted

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Just posted the first release candidate for version 5.1:

https://activeforums.codeplex.com/releases/view/115273

This is really a continuation of the 5.0.5 release, but I wanted to move us to the new version scheme that I posted about previously.

Please post any issues/comments here.

Hopefully we are very close to having this released so we can move on to the next batch of fixes and enhancements.
Nov 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM
When searching I get an error.
In the ActiveForums/sql folder the file 05.00.04.SqlDataProvider is missing. This is an updated forum. Fresh installs are working good.

AssemblyVersion:7.1.2
PortalID:0
PortalName:xxxxxxx
UserID:5413
UserName:Host
ActiveTabID:96
ActiveTabName:Forum
RawURL:/Forum/tabid/96/afv/search/f/-1/Default.aspx?q=lehmani&rt=0
AbsoluteURL:/Default.aspx
AbsoluteURLReferrer:http://xxxxxx/Forum/tabid/96/afv/grid/afgt/activetopics/Default.aspx
UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36
DefaultDataProvider:DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke
ExceptionGUID:5a3da917-ed74-468b-999e-0c923f8b86c8
InnerException:The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>).
FileName:
FileLineNumber:0
FileColumnNumber:0
Method:System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.RemoveAt
StackTrace:
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). ---> System.Web.HttpException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>).
at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.RemoveAt(Int32 index)
at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Clear()
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_search.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Nov 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM
I'm testing 5.1.0.....
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 3:46 PM
@Plumifrons: Does that error persist if you do a repair install. There is something odd about that seems to cause this problem on occasion and I'm having a hard time tracking it down.

Regarding the 5.0.4 sql script being gone, that is by design. I rolled up all of the updates from 5.0.4 and 5.0.5 into the 5.1.0 package so they would all be re-run when 5.1.0 gets installed. This will clean up any issues with people who were running the various iterations of the 5.0.4 beta. This is why I wanted to switch to the new version scheme. From now on we shouldn't have this problem again.
Nov 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Repair install didn’t fix the problem.
Nov 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I have another almost similar test site where I had also this error in 5.0.4. This I solved it through disabling Full Text search and after that enabling it. Updating it to 5.1. and it still works.

On the other test site disabling and enabling Full Text search didn’t help. This site was on 5.0.5. before updating it to 5.1.
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Ok that's good info but I'm a bit confused. You still have a site where it's not working?
Coordinator
Nov 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Just posted RC2.

I think I may have tracked down what was causing the occasional error on the Search page.
Nov 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM
No , RC2 didn’t solve the problem.
Editor
Nov 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM
So far so good on the release. I'm not experiencing any issues except for one that I posted (here in issues) regarding an image stored in the wrong location (or rather being called upon at the wrong location).

Something else I've noticed now, the last 3 times I've installed the forum, one of these times I even posted here about my time stamp being wrong. I found out that it was the site reverting back to pacific time.

Well I changed it and all was well. It happened again tonight. After installing RC2, my site time zone got set back to pacific time again. I have not done anything else on the site at all except for installing the forum.

Has anyone else seen this? The only other thing in common was the utility that I used to backup the site prior to installing AF. I have a dedicated server at PowerDNN. I used their utility for this. So it has to be one of the two of those.

Other than that everything seems to be working just fine. I even got Ventrian PM module working (with some help from a friend).
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Ok, I'm becoming more convinced that the "controls collection can not be modified" error is some side effect of cached data in the install process. I've installed on 4 different sites (including my live site) and haven't seen the error. I've install it new and over an existing forum and I've installed on Azure. All with no issues. Can someone walk me through the exact steps to duplicate the error? Also, have you tried going into host settings, clearing the cache and then restarting the application?

@supermansrf: I saw your issue regarding the missing images. Good catch. I looked into it briefly and found that it's actually a bigger problem than that image. I was planning to work on that tonight, but today I accidentally dropped a brand new $500 LED light fixture into my saltwater aquarium. So... I spend the evening trying to get it cleaned up and dried out instead of working on AF. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to clean up the image issue.
Nov 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I don’t think it is a caching problem. I always clear the cache and restart the application before I test a new install.

To be sure that it is not a problem with many installs on the test site I made a new test site of my biggest AF (4.3.8) site. Updated it direct with AF 5.1.1 and the error still exits.

By the way is the LED light working again?
Developer
Nov 25, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Are we talking about "controls collection can not be modified" when searching? My site does this all the time, I haven't had a chance to try to pull it down locally to test
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM
@christoc: Yes, that's the issue I'm trying to track down with little luck. I can't duplicate it.

@Plumifrons: I haven't tried upgrading from 4.3.8. I'll give that a try and see what happens (hopefully I still have the install package for that version somewhere). And no, the LED is not working yet. I have all of the electronic components drying out in a container filled with rice.
Nov 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
If you need host access to my test sites or a copy to try it locally just let me know.
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Ok, will do. The other obvious thing I haven't tried yet is upgrading to 7.1. All of my test instances are still running 7.0.
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM
The last test I did on DNN 07.00.03
Developer
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it isn't 7.1 issue, but my site is currently on 7.1.1
Coordinator
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I think I know what's going on now. I asked about it in the MVP forum and Cathal's response got me on the right track.

@Plumifrons: Does it happen when you search by topics, posts or both?
Nov 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Both
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Well, sadly I'm still not having any luck tracking this issue down. I can't duplicate it no matter what I try...
Developer
Nov 26, 2013 at 5:43 AM
I'm pulling down a local copy of my racing website to try and debug it tomorrow evening.
Developer
Nov 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Edited Nov 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM
So I think I might have figured the issue out tonight.

I'm no SQL expert, but I've dealt with my share of SQL issues over the past week, and I believe, what is happening is that when the activeforums_Search_FullText proc gets executed, it starts causing all sorts of Blocking issues. On a large site, like my racing site, with lots of traffic, and lots of searches, that causes the proc to start timing out, and ultimate that somehow ends back up with the cryptic error message reported earlier.

I have modified my production copy of activeforums_Search_FullText to look like the following. I would HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO YOUR OWN TESTING, NOT IN PRODUCTION.

I basically changed the TEMP tables to table variables, #tmpResults to @tmpResults and #Forums to @ForumsTable, and modified the population of the @ForumsTable a bit to make that work.

Now, when I run a search on SCCAForums, it actually returns results without throwing errors. (searches aren't quick, 10s sometimes, but that is much better than they were earlier tonight, as they return results)

I also recall, in a previous version of this proc I had changed the Select Top 1000, to top 100, and that had helped fix issues with the racing site. Now, with the temp changes, I'm able to leave 1000 in place.

__-- Get our main result set
SELECT TOP 1000 
__
REMOVED PROC from the post

You can find the proc at with objectQualifier and databaseOwner tokens at https://github.com/jbrunken/ActiveForums/blob/213ce076417ebd637c9bb6bae78c9c906abc3b37/sql/FullTextInstallPart2.sql
Nov 26, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I changed the activeforums_Search_FullText proc and it works. Good work.
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Ah! I was under the impression that this was an instantaneous error rather than a timeout, so I wasn't looking at proc performance as a source for the error.

Thanks Chris for figuring that out. I'm definitely not a SQL expert either so I always welcome any suggestions that anyone has for improving the tables/views/procs, etc.

I'll try the new proc on my main system and see how it performs. Honestly, I'm ready to have this search stuff behind me so I can move on to some other fixes & enhancements.

@Plumifrons: LED's are back in full working order!
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Just tried the new proc on my live system. Works great, even .09 seconds faster. I'll bundle this up with the image fixes that I've done and put up a new release tonight.

Thanks again to everyone for your help tracking these issues down.
Developer
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM
jbrunken wrote:
Ah! I was under the impression that this was an instantaneous error rather than a timeout, so I wasn't looking at proc performance as a source for the error.
I wasn't sure it was a timeout issue, but as soon as I pulled it down locally and started testing the damn thing ran quickly every time. So I figured I would dig a little more on the server, and sure enough executing the query in my prod DB it ran for 8 minutes and never finished before I stopped it.
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many posts do you have in your forum? My live site has 150,000+ posts. It's not giant, but it's not tiny either.
Developer
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM
55k Topics
395k replies
Coordinator
Nov 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Ok, that certainly explains why you see the longer execution times.

We do have a SQL guru here at work and he's going to take a look at that proc and see if he can make some suggestions. He looked at it briefly and pointed out a number of things that might help even further.