Way to access attachments to shrink them

Nov 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I have low tech users uploading huge image files. I am a programmer. I wish to intercept the upload and run them through an image shrinker that I have. Any suggestions how I can access them? Either with a hook at upload or after will work.
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Unfortunately, there are currently no hooks provided to enable automatic resizing of images.

If you'd like to try and add your own hooks, you can easily clone/fork the latest source from Github here: https://github.com/jbrunken/ActiveForums

Just be sure to share your changes so they can be incorporated back into the main branch.
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM
I would love to see this feature. Also I've been working on trying to find a way to ship forum attachments to an S3 server to keep the garbage off my dedicated server.

Currently using a cloud storage provider which works well for other modules but since the forum uploads to the user folder this does not work.

Because we can't limit the size of the attachment photo, and used in conjunction with a responsive skin, I've had to get creative with bootstrap to prevent large size images from showing up "off the page"

I would love to see this improved.
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:29 PM
There is no doubt that the "Attachments" functionality is an area that a developer could focus on and make some great enhancements. We just need the developer(s)...

:)
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I was trying to prod prjrvp a bit and maybe get him interested. Sounds like the perfect person for the job to me.

Let us know if you want to help and we will get you whatever you need to work on this. We would love to have you on board.

If we had several developers who just focused on small areas of improvement this forum could be the best out there. It has a lot of potential just no support. It always seems like those who say they are going to make progress make great claims and do nothing about it. Right now this entire project is being handled by 1 person.

That is really sad to me. This deserves so much more.