5.0.5 Release Candidate Posted

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Just posted the 5.0.5 build as a release candidate. It is very similar to the 5.0.4 beta with a couple of additional bug fixes and SQL Azure compatibility.

Download 5.0.5 Release Candidate

5.0.4 was never officially released, but many people have been running it in production for quite some time. For this reason, I don't believe we need to go through a full beta cycle for 5.0.5.

If there are no dramatic/new issues discovered with this build over the next few days, I will make it the approved production release.
Nov 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM
The version number in the PA is still 5.0.4 so installing requires you to check a repair install. Just FYI.

The copyright version at the bottom shows 5.0.4 also.

Thanks for the release JB. Look forward to more in the future. I'm starting to test now.
Nov 19, 2013 at 5:13 AM
Hmm, I think the version issue might have been the what's new module. I updated it to 5.0.5. I'm not seeing the copyright notice being out of date. You did install the new version right... :)
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM
So this is not the module, rather my brain. I finally realized that when I saw the message about a repair install I cancelled.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Edited Nov 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM
It is probably what's new. When I delete this module on a 5.0.4 installation and update AF to 5.0.5 I didn’t get the repair message.
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I've an error using the search function

AssemblyVersion: 7.0.4
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
DefaultDataProvider: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke
InnerException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>).
Method: System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.RemoveAt
StackTrace:
Message: DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). ---> System.Web.HttpException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.RemoveAt(Int32 index) at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Clear() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_search.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM
On a fresh install enabling Full-Text Search gives an error in the event log. It doesn’t happen on a update off AF.

ModuleId:419
ModuleDefId:139
FriendlyName:Active Forums
ModuleControlSource:DesktopModules/ActiveForums/ActiveForums.ascx
AssemblyVersion:7.1.2
PortalID:0
PortalName:My Website
UserID:1
UserName:HostHan
ActiveTabID:89
ActiveTabName:AF
RawURL:/AF/ctl/Module/ModuleId/419?popUp=true
AbsoluteURL:/Default.aspx
AbsoluteURLReferrer:http://dotnetnuke/AF/ctl/Module/ModuleId/419?popUp=true UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36
DefaultDataProvider:DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke
ExceptionGUID:42e88187-2b4d-4f66-8e9a-0d93936d7dbd
InnerException:The stored procedure 'dbo.activeforums_Search_ManageFullText' doesn't exist.
FileName:
FileLineNumber:0
FileColumnNumber:0
Method:System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.DeriveParameters
StackTrace:
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The stored procedure 'dbo.activeforums_Search_ManageFullText' doesn't exist. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The stored procedure 'dbo.activeforums_Search_ManageFullText' doesn't exist.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.DeriveParameters()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommandBuilder.DeriveParameters(SqlCommand command)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelperParameterCache.DiscoverSpParameterSet(SqlConnection connection, String spName, Boolean includeReturnValueParameter, Object[] parameterValues)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelperParameterCache.GetSpParameterSetInternal(SqlConnection connection, String spName, Boolean includeReturnValueParameter)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelperParameterCache.GetSpParameterSet(String connectionString, String spName, Boolean includeReturnValueParameter)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteScalar(String connectionString, String spName, Object[] parameterValues)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.SqlDataProvider.Search_ManageFullText(Boolean enabled)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.ForumSettings.UpdateSettings()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Nov 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and track down the search related issues this evening.
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I too am seeing the same issues. It appears that the search isn't working, as well as on my forum "My Topics" and "Active Topics" also generate a similar error.

JB if you want to see this live let me know. I'll give you a URL and host login.
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Please post the exact errors you are seeing from My Topics/Active Topics. That would be the most helpful thing for me.

I suspect that this has something to do with odd characters being injected into the file, which may have something to do with the transition to GitHub. In any case, we'll get it worked out.

-JB
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:40 PM
When I click on "My Topics" I see this on the screen:

A critical error has occurred. Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Boolean.

This is logged:

RawURL:/MEMBERSONLY/MembersForums/tabid/71/afv/grid/afgt/mytopics/Default.aspx
AbsoluteURLReferrer:http://forum.com/MEMBERSONLY/MembersForums.aspx
UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36
ExceptionGUID:741a971c-03ac-4606-a704-1b79d5cd950d
InnerException:Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Boolean.
FileName:
Method:System.Boolean.Parse
StackTrace:
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Boolean. ---> System.FormatException: Failed to convert parameter value from a String to a Boolean. ---> System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid Boolean.
at System.Boolean.Parse(String value)
at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToBoolean(IFormatProvider provider)
at System.Convert.ChangeType(Object value, Type conversionType, IFormatProvider provider)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.CoerceValue(Object value, MetaType destinationType, Boolean& coercedToDataFeed, Boolean& typeChanged, Boolean allowStreaming)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.CoerceValue(Object value, MetaType destinationType, Boolean& coercedToDataFeed, Boolean& typeChanged, Boolean allowStreaming)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.GetCoercedValue()
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlParameter.Validate(Int32 index, Boolean isCommandProc)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.SetUpRPCParameters(_SqlRPC rpc, Int32 startCount, Boolean inSchema, SqlParameterCollection parameters)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.BuildRPC(Boolean inSchema, SqlParameterCollection parameters, _SqlRPC& rpc)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteDataset(SqlConnection connection, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteDataset(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteDataset(String connectionString, String spName, Object[] parameterValues)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Data.Common.UI_MyTopicsView(Int32 portalId, Int32 moduleId, Int32 userId, Int32 rowIndex, Int32 maxRows, String sort, String forumIds)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_grid.BindPosts(String sort)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_grid.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM
When I click on Active Topics I see:

A critical error has occurred. Parameter count does not match Parameter Value count.

This is logged:

RawURL:/MEMBERSONLY/MembersForums/tabid/71/afv/grid/afgt/activetopics/Default.aspx
AbsoluteURLReferrer:http://forum.com/MEMBERSONLY/MembersForums.aspx
UserAgent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36
ExceptionGUID:fbd8d946-ac2f-43f8-bab1-1c117099ab01
InnerException:Parameter count does not match Parameter Value count.
FileName:
Method:Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.AssignParameterValues
StackTrace:
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: Parameter count does not match Parameter Value count. ---> System.ArgumentException: Parameter count does not match Parameter Value count.
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.AssignParameterValues(SqlParameter[] commandParameters, Object[] parameterValues)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteDataset(String connectionString, String spName, Object[] parameterValues)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Data.Common.UI_ActiveView(Int32 portalId, Int32 moduleId, Int32 userId, Int32 rowIndex, Int32 maxRows, String sort, Int32 timeFrame, String forumIds)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_grid.BindPosts(String sort)
at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_grid.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
Nov 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
The forum I'm testing this on has very few posts. Its a new site.

Something that is really odd is that when I click on "Unanswered" and "Not Read" it shows Anonymous as like all but 1 post author. There is 1 post that was made today that actually shows an author, but the rest show anonymous. When I click on the unanswered or not read post it takes me to the post where I do see the person who authored it. Just in that view its like it doesn't recognize the author from before today? Does that make sense?

I would have to restore last night's backup to tell you if this was happening before I upgraded. Please let me know if you want me to do that so we know for sure if this was a result of the upgrade or another issue. I'm fairly certain that this didn't look this way prior to upgrading. I know that we tested this but I can't say with 100% certainty.

Thanks for looking into this.
Nov 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I have the same errors when using My Topics/Active Topics on one off my test forums. This is an updated forum. On the fresh install’s I don’t seen this kind off errors.
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, do any of you have Friendly URL's turned on?

If so, I would suggest turning them off because 1) I don't think they've ever worked in 5.x and 2) they definitely cause problems with the ActiveTopics/MyTopics links.
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:18 PM
No I don’t have them on
Nov 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Not I
Nov 20, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Ok, I think I know what's going on here with the My Topics/Search error. I think it's a side effect of the many changes that were made to the 5.0.4 beta.

Can I have one of you guys manually rerun the 05.00.04.SQLDataProvider and the 05.00.05.SQLDataProvider (in that order) and let me know if that fixes the issue.

To run them, just go into the HOST sql tool and select run as script then select the file. You can find the files in the ActiveForum folder under DesktopModules

If that works for you, I'm going to create a new 5.0.6 version that does a complete replacement of everything in the 5.0.4 and 5.0.5 SQL update scripts.

Sorry about this guys. This is one of the reasons I wan't to change to the new release numbering system that I mentioned in another post. It will help prevent problems like this in the future.

I also found the problem with enabling full text on a new site, I'll include that fix in the next build as well.
Nov 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Also, for those upgrading, if you already have full test search enabled, please rerun the FullText.sql file (same process as in the previous post).

This will ensure that you get the updated version of all the full text procs.
Nov 20, 2013 at 2:54 AM
I hate to sound like a dummy but where do I get these scripts? I'll gladly do it as soon as I have a clue lol

Thanks for taking the time to figure this out
Nov 20, 2013 at 2:58 AM
The SQL provider files are in <dnn>/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/sql

FullText.sql is in <dnn>/DesktopModules/ActiveForums

Alternatively, you can find them in the 5.0.5 zip file.

Again, be sure to check the "run as script" box before running them.
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:08 AM
JB I was able to find the 5.0.4 and 5.0.5 provider no problem, but the fulltext.sql file is nowhere to be found. Neither on my dnn install or in the zip file once extracted. I've looked everywhere.

Am I missing something?

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:13 AM
And FYI running those 2 sql scripts didn't seem to have any effect on My Topics and Active Topics
Nov 20, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Oops, forgot that FullText.sql gets embedded as a resource. Nevermind. Just disable then re-enable full text search in settings. That should have the same effect.

If that didn't fix the issue, then I'm at a bit of a loss as to what is going on. I've been trying to duplicate that problem with no luck so far.

What version of DNN are you running?
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:16 AM
supermansrf wrote:
And FYI running those 2 sql scripts didn't seem to have any effect on My Topics and Active Topics
Hey, just to make sure, you did hit "Load File" after you chose each script before you executed it right?
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:19 AM
The first time I tried it no I didn't, but I caught myself before I ran 5.0.5, so I went back and ran 5.0.4 first then 5.0.5.

Turning off full text and turning it back on seems to help the search. But still have the problem on the other 2 links.

We have run into this before with some if not all of those links. A while back. I had to reinstall then to get it fixed. I'm trying to avoid that on this round because I will have several forums that are going to be upgraded, so that process isn't possible.

I restored last night's backup to verify and DNN 7.1.2 running 5.0.4 does NOT have the same issue. It is only after the upgrade.
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:20 AM
It's really strange, its like it doesn't know who the post author is. Like I was saying when I look at unanswered and not read posts, I see mostly anonymous author when it really is a registered user. 1 post shows an author.
Nov 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Running those two scripts fixed the problems with My Topics/Active Topics for me.
Nov 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Ok so I have some success too. Plum's post guided me to try this again. Here is what I did and how I fixed it.

I ran the 2 scripts again, this time from the unzipped PA and not from the stored files on the server. After running I cleared site cache. My authors in Unanswered and Not Read came back after this. But I was still getting the errors on my topics and active topics.

I restarted the app, cleared cache one more time and bam they came back. I figured that something had to be getting better when my authors came back from anonymous to the actual author.

Hope this helps to clear this up for a stable. I would like to get some feedback on how the search is supposed to work. Maybe my understanding of full text is a bit misguided.

I'm testing this on a site with a very small number of posts. One post has a word in it that doesn't appear anywhere else in the forum "merchandise". When I go in and do an advanced search for the work merchandise (by the way this is not a topic title or summary, it is in the body of the post) should it not return a hit on that? Or does the search ability only include title and summary?

Thanks everyone for the guidance. This is a huge step in the right direction. If I can get my migration script worked out I finally have my work cut out for me, but its well worth it. I would love to finally break past the 6.1.5 barrier on my main 2 sites.
Nov 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Sorry guys, been absolutely swamped today.

I'm glad it's working better for you now. I'm going to put together a 5.0.6 build that will help prevent this from happening for anyone who might have an old interim build of 5.0.4 installed. Gonna try and track down one final issue, then I'll get that posted.

skiank: I'm not having any luck duplicating or tracking down your issue. Have you tried a repair install? I've seen very similar issues in the past and a repair install has always fixed it.

supermansrf: Full text search currently searches the title and/or post body depending on what you pick in the search options. The default is to search both fields. One subtle thing to watch for is where you start the search. If you are inside of a forum, it will only search that forum by default. If you are at the forum list or in an aggregate view (my topics, etc), it will search all forums. The search box will say either "Search Forum" or "Search Forums". Is it possible that you're inadvertently limiting your search to a single forum that doesn't contain that term?
Nov 21, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Oh yea, I may have been expecting too much. Like I said just getting used to this and curious to know the limitations. Thanks for the explanation. That helps. We need to get some more content on there.

While i'm here, has anyone had any luck with the PM function working? I have zero activity. Clicks do nothing.

FWIW, I have given the source code from Ventrian PM module to my developer for a little TLC. I have always completely hated the stock PM function. Its getting better but seriously needs reworked.

I'm going to see if he can spruce up the ventrian PM module, and ensure that it stays working with AF since its already built in to AF. I have a site relying on the PM module and when i upgrade it past 6.1.5 ventrian breaks. Most likely due to the new profile stuff (technical term there :-) )
Nov 21, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I found an issue last night that might explain why your search isn't working. I have it fixed but I'm working on a few other fixes/enhancements to finish up the full text search stuff. When I'm done, I'm going to bundle all of this up into version 5.1.x. (hopefully tonight).

As for PM's. The PM integration does work fine for me. We use the Core PM module. I actually prefer it's threaded model over Ventrian PM's, however it does still have some serious limitations (namely the way notifications work). I've brought that up numerous times (are you listening Will? :D ) but so far it hasn't gotten any traction from the DNN team. Anyway, that's a different topic.

If you're PM's aren't working, 1) Be sure to check your settings and make sure you've got the correct modules selected and 2) When you click on the PM link in the forums, use one of the browser consoles to see if you are getting any Javascript errors. If you are getting an error send them to me. Probably best to create a new thread about this issue.
Nov 22, 2013 at 5:28 AM
I have everything buttoned up for the 5.1.0 release, but I'm too tired now to release it (I think at this point everyone can agree that me doing releases when I'm tired usually doesn't work out well for anyone... ;D)

I'll do a bit more testing and get it posted tomorrow.
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM
My search work properly now! Enable full text searh was disable :-) Now I've enabled it and work
Nov 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Good deal. Be sure to install 5.1 as it will include some important search related fixes.

If things go as planned, I should have it posted tonight.