Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint 'IX_Journal_Security'.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I have installed AF on one tab and have Social Groups configured (auto) on other tabs. I have added a Tab within Social Groups that links to the tab where AF is installed. AF is set to 'From Mode = Social Groups'. As soon as new Social Groups were added and you click on the link to AF a new forum was created with the name of the Social Group + 'discussions' and I can post in that forum. When you click on the link in Social Groups the GroupId of that group is added to Aactive Forums.

As soon as I post a new topic in a 'social group' forum I would expect this to show up in the Journal but it does not. It throws an error like the subject of this message.

The complete error is:

Violation of UNIQUE KEY constraint 'IX_Journal_Security'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.Journal_Security'. The duplicate key value is (117, R7). The statement has been terminated.

When I check the Jourmal table there is a key with value (117, R7) so there is a problem but why does this happen?

If I post a new topic directly in the forum (not from within a social group) I do not get this error and the message shows up in the Journal.

I have tried several scenarios including putting the AF module on a new tab within Social Groups and that seems to work without this error but there are other issues.

Do I fail to understand the concept of Social Integration of AF or...???
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM
There are two parts to social integration

1) Journal - When a new post is created in AF, an entry is added to the activity feed. Only users who have access to view the post will see the entry in the activity feed. This functionality is pretty much complete.

2) Social group integration - This is where things get a bit weird. This used to work well in AF/Active Social, but was not completely implemented in AF 5 after social groups were moved to the core platform.

You are supposed to be able to add an instance on a group tab and set the mode to Social Groups. When you do this, it is supposed to create a new forum for each social group with it's own set of permissions that are bound to the group. This somewhat works, but there are some pretty significant issues with it that currently undermine it's usefulness.

There used to be a way to tie an existing forum to a social group, but I don't think that the functionality ever made it into AF 5.

So... I would not recommend trying to use the social group integration for now.

It's possible that it might get fixed/enhanced in the future, but there's a lot of other lower hanging fruit that will probably get addressed first.
Sep 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Thanks! I do not have any other issues with AF so far I can tell and I have been testing it for weeks now. I don't use Friendly URL's because there are issues. It is just that one error that causes trouble and I wonder what I should do? I want to use AF as I do now, with social integration or I will drop forums completely.
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2013 at 1:23 PM
If you want to use social integration with groups, you need to have a forum instance on a group tab and set to mode to "Social Groups". The error you are getting is because you have the mode set to social groups, but you don't have it on a social group tab.

If you change that, the social group functionality will somewhat work, but like I said before, there are some issues. If you absolutely must have perfect social group integration, you are probably out of luck for now.
Sep 14, 2013 at 6:11 AM
I'm going to jump in here as this is of interest to me. When I migrated from AS I retain just one Group out of about 9. I was able to move the forum to a new instance however the forum is now only accessible to Host/Admin. Everyone else is locked out including the Group Owner. The instance for the Group Forums was not created on a Group tab although I do have it set to Social Groups, that is news to me.

So after reading the above a added the instance to a Group tab and yes it works. I have added several test Groups since the migration and added forums for them and each forum appears on the Group page. Several problems though. Still only available to Host/Admins, The Forum appears on the Activity Feed tab and can't see how to put it on its own tab eg. Group Forum.

I like the way the forum loads on the Group, that's good. How to get permissions back to the members and have it on own page?

This is a test environment so if you have any ideas I can try them out.