How to have html editor or any sort of editor in active forums in DNN ?

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I just installed DNN 7.01 - How to have html editor or any sort of editor in active forums in DNN ?
Jul 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Hi pepper

Once you get into control panel on the forums, you can adjust the features either per forum or group. Under the features tab there is a radio button to turn on HTML. Once it's on there are 3 dots to the right. Inside there you can decide if you want a simple editor or default DNN editor.

As far as your security roles are concerned those should work. Red circle is off and green circle is allowed. You may want to refresh the page and or try another container appearance to see if it changes anything.

Also good to know there are some additional settings under the actual module settings and the active forums tab. This is the same place you would change the module title or adjust container style.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help and how it turns out.
Jul 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
There used to be a basic HTML editor that was available instead of the DNN HTML editor. What happened to it? I want something basic so I can provide an interface for inserting links and images but not give the user any upload privileges. I can remove the image manager from the toolbar but that help those who are HTML challenged.
Jul 13, 2013 at 4:54 PM
^^^^

Basic HTML editor would be nice to have again it is broken.

The problem is I think this project is DEAD... in fact it seems most all DNN open source projects are near their death except maybe 1 or 2 thanks to DNN Social. I hope I am wrong but it seems from the posts I have been reading that this is the case. So either a new breed of community developers will arise... or so much for a DNN community other than newcomers begging for fixes.
Jul 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM
If you go to the HTML Editor Manager (Host). You can set the DNN HTML Editor as a custom version for your Forum only. ie. Strip it down to a basic HTML Editor.
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM
I have it stripped for everyone but didn't see an option for just the forum. I don't think it's a dead project, just not a priority for DNN Corporate. Glad a few are still plugging away on it. I would hate to see this module fade away.
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
WHat mervharvey is talking about is creating a new security group I believe and call it "ForumUsers" then strip it down and use this I think...

If you have stripped it down for everyone already, you need to log in using a normal account (not super user or admin) to see the changes.
Jul 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM
You can also specify a html editor on a per page basis.
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I know how to strip it down for a group of users, I guess my big issue is that I like the HTML editor for the site, just not the forum. The basic html editor the forum used to have, worked well. So that brings me to the next question.

benjironelson wrote:
How do you do that?
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM
mrwebslinger wrote:
I know how to strip it down for a group of users, I guess my big issue is that I like the HTML editor for the site, just not the forum. The basic html editor the forum used to have, worked well. So that brings me to the next question.

benjironelson wrote:
How do you do that?
Unless something was Fixed in 7.1 I don't think this feature has ever worked since the newer HTML editor was integrated into DNN back in the 6.X timeframe
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:45 PM
As soon as I say that, I do find the configuration options, though I haven't tested to see if they work.

Go to Host/HTML Editor Manager

From there you can "Copy" the settings and create a new entry. Not sure why there isn't an "Add" option, but copy appears to allow for this configuration.
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM
So you mean copy the Template, not specify a completely different HTML editor for a specific page? That is a handy option though I have never noticed and did see how you can bind a Template to a specific page. Thanks for the tip and heads up.
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Correct. Basically you can choose how the editor shows up on specific pages (not sure if you can assign different ones to different pages though)
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I don't think you can choose a different editor for a different page, but you can make it so completely different per page using the DotNetNukeRadEditorProvider that you shouldn't need to.
Jul 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM
The one issue I am having with the RadEditor and the Forum is I don't want to give my users upload privilege for images but I do want to provide an interface for them to be able to insert offsite images using the image url. For the quick reply, it's no problem, they use the Image tags, for the reply when using the HTML editor, the image manager doesn't give a URL option, only upload, so enabling that button doesn't help. I guess I could ditch the editor all together and let them use the tags for both quick reply and the full reply.
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I would suggest checking out the FCK editor provider for DNN available here on CodePlex. IMO it provides a better user experience than the default RadEditor.
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Will do. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Special thanks to jbrunken for all the work you put into this module. I wish I were more of a coder and could help you out!
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:46 PM
supermansrf wrote:
Hi pepper Once you get into control panel on the forums, you can adjust the features either per forum or group. Under the features tab there is a radio button to turn on HTML. Once it's on there are 3 dots to the right. Inside there you can decide if you want a simple editor or default DNN editor. As far as your security roles are concerned those should work. Red circle is off and green circle is allowed. You may want to refresh the page and or try another container appearance to see if it changes anything. Also good to know there are some additional settings under the actual module settings and the active forums tab. This is the same place you would change the module title or adjust container style. Let me know if I can do anything else to help and how it turns out.
Hello supermansrf,

I tested the HTML feature of the forums but both the textbox and DNN Editor does not include any toolbar or anything in the active forums.
All the site owners can't expect that the users / member of the site will know html coding and how they will know to use html tags if they are not familiar with html coding ?

A HTML Editor with proper toolbar is an important feature these days- Is this available or will be available soon in active forums ?

please advise ?
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM
There are 2 ways of replying to a topic, this threw me off so i'm hoping its the same issue with you. There is a quick reply function at the bottom of a topic. There is also a "REPLY" button that opens a new window where you see the image I've posted in the following forum topic over on activeforums.org

TEXT

Feel free to register and sign up over there so you can play with a stock install of DNN and AF.

I like using that because I converted over most of my forums from DNN forum using a conversion script. On the few sites I used this script on, I'm experiencing issues like not being able to get the HTML editor using default DNN editor to stick. I pick it, and save it, leave and come back and its back to default text box. I'm fairly certain it was my conversion though.

I'll subscribe to the above topic.

S
Jul 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Testing to see if i can post a picture from the AF forums

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:40 PM
supermansrf,

Sorry I didn;t understand - where I need to register ?

The active forums that I am using, I downloaded it from https://activeforums.codeplex.com/releases/view/102648

I am assuming that codeplex has the latest version then why I need to register on active forum site for latest version ?

I still don't see any HTML editor tool bar option in active forums module for DNN 7.01
Jul 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Pepper, the HTML editor option is under the setting for your forums. Go to Control Panel >> Forums >> Edit Forum icon (either group or individual depending on if you have inherit settings turned on) >>Features Tab. There you can turn on HTML Input. You click the settings button next to the radio button to specify which HTML editor to use but note, only the Default DNN Editor will actually work.
Jul 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM
You don't have to register to download anything. As long as you are on the most recent beta 5.00.04 beta 4 then the features should be the same as that website. That is just an installed version that you CAN test to know if the issues are with the software or with your DNN install. If you want to give me a temporary admin account I would be happy to take a look at it for you. As far as the others features you were asking (poll vote etc,) I'll have to test it and get back with you.
Jul 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Yes, I did exactly what you mentioned above.

See screenshot: http://tinypic.com/r/kcno6q/5
http://tinypic.com/r/kcno6q/5

But I see no html editor toolbar ?: http://tinypic.com/r/2qd64gz/5
http://tinypic.com/r/2qd64gz/5
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Thats odd, I take it you did the standard clear site cache and refresh browser? Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

On that forum on activeforums.org, it was not turned on when I went in to control panel. I turned on the feature for the group and saved. Immediately went in to the topic and it worked. So I didn't have to clear cache or refresh.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
I just cleared by cookies, history and cache but still nothing ?

I am running ActiveForums_05.00.03_Install_DNN7 on DNN 07.01.00
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM
pepper, make sure on your sub forums (if you edited the group) that you have Inherit Group Setting "checked".
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Pepper, don't get confused here on beta and stable. I initially did a year ago. Beta 4 is the most current. Its just 5.00.3 with some improvements, fixes etc. That could very well be your issue.

I would back up your site db and docs and upgrade to 5.00.4 beta 4. If its just a test site you can probably skip the backup.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM
you can use this link or click on the beta link under downloads and the download link will change

LINK
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Thanks for the link - I have another questions. since the 5.00.4 version is a beta version...should I use it for production ? or live website ?

When stable version of active forums for DNN 7.01 is coming ?
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM
I'm using it on production sites. Lets put it this way, its better than 5.00.3 so if you are planning on using 5.0.3 on production then I would definitely use 5.00.4 beta 4 on production.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Yes I understand that 5.00.4 is better than previous version but what if tomorrow there is an update ? usually sql script or web files support previous stable version and update that to next stable version. I don't know how the development team provides the update and using beta version is a risk and might make the update process complex if stable version comes out in future ?
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Sorry as far as a stable release its hard to tell. Until we get more support, this isn't a project with a timeline and road map. JB has a job, family and life outside AF. I'm sure his kids are like everyone else's in the summer and have a million things going on. So spare time is spent cutting grass, and sports, and friends etc.

I'm working on a few things that will help push this along. It needs MUCH more than 1 person tinkering in his spare time. Its not fair to Jason.

That was the purpose of the facebook and website that we launched, to gain support. There haven't been a flood of requests sent to help with the coding. The other problem is that even with people willing to step up and help, its going to either have to be a well coordinated effort between multiple developers or a team of people who already work well together. The first is going to be hard to pull off.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Worst case if there is another beta, you may have to execute a sql script. 5.00.4 beta 2-4 all had a sql script that you had to run if you were using moderation. Otherwise you just install over the previous. I will tell you that so far in the past year, every update has been very well documented and took less than 2 minutes to run.

I'm just making the statement that I know that feature worked fine on 5.00.4 beta 4. So if you want to get on the same version that I know it works on there it is.

Like i said, the hardest thing so far has been a small script that you have to run in order to get moderation to work. Otherwise as far as I know that was the only reason to have to use the script.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Yes I completely understand that you are saying. Could you please explain how the upgrade process usually works at this moment ? How upgrade process have been working since previous versions ?
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Just a heads up. The 5.0.4 beta should not be used if your site is hosted on Azure. Otherwise it's probably ok. Azure compatibility is the big reason why 5.0.4 is not yet released.

I am still involved with the project, but like supermansrf said, I'm super busy with other stuff this time of year and don't have any time to dedicate to the project (this is a hobby for me, not a job).

This project REALLY needs at least 2 or 3 more developers that are actively contributing to the project. The reality is that I will probably never have enough time to get things where they need to be on my own.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM
So I haven't been around prior to AF 5. I can tell you what I've experienced since then.

Until 5.00.4 beta 1-4 you basically downloaded the new release, and installed through host>extensions. Simple.

5.00.4 beta 1 was the same as above, install the same way. Click next, accept license, next next next next next next (lol) and return.

5.00.4 beta 2-4 was released and I believe that one targeted some moderation issues that existed in beta 1. If you cared about moderated posts, and were on beta 1 when installing beta 2-4 you had to install the module as described above, then execute a sql script that was also posted (didn't need altered per install I believe- the notes are somewhere) that you could execute from host>sql or through management studio etc.

So far the ONLY challenge that I've experienced and I'm definitely not the most capable around here, was upgrading from DNN Forums to Active Forums. Everything else is just like installing any other module.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
And I'm sure as soon as we get this up to par, DNN 8 or 9 will be out and the process starts all over again
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
The issue with installing betas is that the version number does not change, so the SQL provider scripts sometimes need to be re-run manually when you are upgrading to a new beta or possibly to a release version.
Jul 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Thank you guys for your time and answers, I deeply appreciate it

can anyone please answer this ? https://activeforums.codeplex.com/discussions/450012
Jul 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
So I download the 5.04 version and I was able to setup the HTML Editor but seems like when I configure for "All users", i never see the html editor, it never works.

But when I set it for specific role like "Administrator" then it works, why ?
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
anyone ?