Mail Connector

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Hi all,
I recognize i have raised this before, but it has been awhile.
In Active froums there is/was an 'enterpise' option called 'mail connector'.

This allowed posting to a forum via email, and recieving an email when the Forum was updated. With the advent of the new versions of the forum this capability has disappeared.

There are a number of modules that will send an email when a forum is updated, but none that I can see that allow posting to a forum.

Does anyone know of a replacement for 'Active Forums' Mial Connector, or anyone or a firm who is working on this capability?
The Mail Connector is one of the reasons i chose DNN some years ago. I now find that its available for Joomla and Drupal, but not here.
I'm living in hope that somewhere this will return, before I left so far behind that I will have to change to another CNS.

Thank you

Paul
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM
I left a message over at DNN and Eril provided the following reply
__" Erik van Ballegoij 17 hours ago
As far as I know, the mail connector was dropped when Active Forums was made open source, because the mail connector component did not allow for an open source type license (it was a commercial component).

I think the best thing you can do is to get in touch with the people that are working on the module right now, through the codeplex page here: https://activeforums.codeplex.com/.

I just did a quick search, this component http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpop/ seems to be a good replacement for this functionality, however, it would have to be built in the product to work."__

The project describes itself as a _" .NET library written in C# with a full implementation of a POP3 client. Easy to use but yet powerful. Includes a robust MIME parser backed by several hundred test cases.
Our homepage (http://hpop.sourceforge.net/) includes examples, documentation and a general introduction for email. "
_
Is this helpful for anyone. I'm willing to pay a little for this capability

Thank you
Paul
pcameron-removethis-@bigpond.net.au
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Once again open source = closed door on a basic need. I'm sure there many sites out there that will go ahead and move into an upgrade only to find the the forum situation for DNN is a dead end. The core forum module is defunct, Active Forums is a rough rough shape yet many of us would pay for a better solution.

Meanwhile DNN has revamped into a fully focused profit seeking software company (see new branding), I think it's great idea except for the forum module situation, get this module out of open source and get some paid developers on this project or sell it to someone that will take care of it. There will always be a need for a great forum module, not every website wants to be a social network.
Jul 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I don't understand why a forum is not a social network component... I love using forums and reading them. I am not so into starting discussions on my wall... more so in the public forums.

It is a weak minded attitude to kill off forums... they are great tools for discussions. All anyone is doing is reinventing the wheel and calling it a rim with a tire on it. Same purposes just used in a different way.

I just closed my FB account, deleted all my business information, I am getting sick of what all gets thrown in my face from social network websites really. A forum at least you can browse by topic....

very poopy changes, I am almost thinking about going back to PHP.

http://www.phpfox.com/ is a complete social network setup for $100-$300... the cost of one module for DNN.

and there more and more to come.

I just wanted a CMS I can make a forum for support and discussions, and the social side of things really I just wanted to use it for PM's or private messaging dating back to the beginning of phpBB bulliten boards or forums or whatever you want to call them.

Its like the term "Cloud Computing" we have been doing this since the beginning of networking, or since interactive dynamic web pages or web apps or whatever you want to call it...

just another hyped up term... same old BS.
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
If DNN corp had run with the Forums, you really wouldn't be happy as it would have been wrapped into the Social product and you'd have to pay the licensing fees for it. At least they let AF go Open Source, but more people need to step up and contribute to the project or it will die like most open source modules do.
Jul 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Yea I agree. Everyone sites DNn for lack of effort but its obvious they are trying to make money.

Personally I'm glad it's open. I have a copy and they can NEVER have it back no matter what.

Seth Folickman
Owner

ASAP Technical Consulting

cell: (502) 432-7100

Sent from my iPhone