Some Forum Groups inaccessable on Control Panel

May 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I have several Forum Groups that I can't access setting for in the Control panel. On one there are 3 Forums. The main Group Header will not open however each Forum will. These forums do not inherit. If I change then to inherit then no longer open.

The other Group is similar however this time the Group Header opens as does one of 3 Forums while the other two don't. These two are Group Forums that are a remnant of Active Social.

How can I restore access to their Control Panel?

Happening in 5.0 3 and 5.0.4
Sep 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I had the same issue with one forum group and one forum what was driving me crazy. Today I found the problem. In the activeforums_Permissions table the record of this group and forum contained a strange value. For example -10;0;8;-1;1;||
|
-10 looked to me an invalid value, It should be -1. After changing this I can access the settings of the forum group and forum.
Sep 17, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Thanks. I had looked at the Permissions table but didn't want to change anything as I don't fully understand them yet. I do recall something similar to what your saying. This is a test site and I rolled back which fixed it.
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Hi there,

I am having the same problem with the control panel, but didnt really get the solution. I set up three forum groups and played around with the functions and permissions. Right now I cant open one of the forum groups at all, so I can`t enter the permissions. Can you explain how to enter the activeforums_Permissions table?
Or is there another way to open or delete a forum group than the control panel?

Using Active Forums 5.0.3 with DNN 7.00.06

Thanks
Sep 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM
hachri80, the activeforums_Permissions table is in the database. You need access to the database to view/modify it.
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM
I also don’t fully understand the permissions in detail and how activeforums_Permissions table is related to activeforums_Security table. So what I do now is not changing an individual permission but I reset the group or forum that is inaccessible to only the role administrator. The group or forum becomes accessible again and then I put the extra permissions back using the control panel.
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Edited Sep 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Here are some scripts you can use.

As always, make a backup and try this first on a test website.

The first step is to find the PermissionsId of the forum or group that is inaccessible.

Find the group:
SELECT        dbo.activeforums_Groups.GroupName, dbo.activeforums_Permissions.*
FROM            dbo.activeforums_Groups INNER JOIN
                         dbo.activeforums_Permissions ON dbo.activeforums_Groups.PermissionsId = dbo.activeforums_Permissions.PermissionsId
Find the forum:
SELECT        dbo.activeforums_Groups.GroupName, dbo.activeforums_Forums.ForumName, dbo.activeforums_Permissions.*
FROM            dbo.activeforums_Permissions INNER JOIN
                         dbo.activeforums_Forums ON dbo.activeforums_Permissions.PermissionsId = dbo.activeforums_Forums.PermissionsId INNER JOIN
                         dbo.activeforums_Groups ON dbo.activeforums_Forums.ForumGroupId = dbo.activeforums_Groups.ForumGroupId
Reset the permisions to administrator only:
UPDATE [activeforums_Permissions]
   SET [CanView] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanRead] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanCreate] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanReply] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanEdit] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanDelete] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanLock] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanPin] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanAttach] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanPoll] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanBlock] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanTrust] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanSubscribe] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanAnnounce] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModApprove] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModMove] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModSplit] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModDelete] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModUser] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModEdit] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModLock] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanModPin] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanTag] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanCategorize] = '0;||||'
      ,[CanPrioritize] = '0;||||'
 WHERE PermissionsId = <Put here the PermissionsId of the group or forum you want to reset>
If you use the DNN sql page you should enable ‘Run as Script’ with the update script.
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Hello Plumifrons,
thanks for your quick response. That really helps alot to solve our problem.
Sep 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Thank Plumifrons for the scripts. They will come in handy.