05.00.04 Beta 4 Posted

Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Just posted a new beta with several fixes and enhancements.

Includes everything from beta 3 plus:
  • Reworked Unanswered/Not Read/My Topics/Active Topics to match new Search UI.
  • Reworked stored procedures related to Unanswered/Not Read/My Topics/Active Topics to provide more information and perform better.
  • Active Topics now defaults to "last day" rather than the time stamp of the last visit.
  • Date and Time display formats are now configurable in settings.
  • Users Online functionality can now be enabled/disabled in settings.
  • Site bread crumb usage can now be enabled/disabled in settings.
  • Profile links can now be disabled in settings.
  • Made loading of forum settings more resilient to old data.
  • Fixed bug that may have prevented to control panel from loading in some circumstances.
NOTE! There are database changes in this release. If you previously installed a 5.0.4 beta release, you will need to re-run the 5.0.4 data provider script using the host SQL tool.

This beta is feature complete as far as 5.0.4 goes so any additional updates (if necessary) will only contain bug fixes.

If you install and test this beta, please post to let us know how it's working for you. I'd like to move it to actually release as soon as possible so we can get started on the next release (plus some Tapatalk enhancements).

Thanks

-JB
Developer
Apr 19, 2013 at 3:56 AM
Edited Apr 19, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Nothing to see here
Editor
Apr 19, 2013 at 3:58 AM
Chris, I believe JB is already working on that. He worked on the activeforums.org site and we saw that too. I'm sure he's busy so I'll answer for him..
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 4:28 AM
That's odd. I've installed it 2 places and I haven't seen that error.

Are you sure that you run that new 05.00.04.SqlDataProvider script? That file was updated in Beta 4.
Apr 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM
After installing Beta4 and running the script I’m getting the start screen with ‘Thank you for choosing Active Forums … ’ [Continue] goes to the control panel but when I leave the console panel I still get the start screen and the forums aren’t visible.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
@Plumifrons That's not good. You didn't uninstall first did you?

Which script did you run and how did you run it?

Nothing in the upgrade process should be able to cause that to happen.
Apr 19, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I did only an update, the forums are still visible in the control panel. I run the 05.00.04.SqlDataProvider script in the host sql with Run as Script option on. There were no errors.
Apr 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I see the new changes to the Unanswered, My Topics, Active Topics...and I like it. Thank you.

I just want to know whether they are template-able now? I would like to change the color scheme and move some columns.

Thanks again for doing such a great job!
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM
No, they don't currently use templates. However you should be able to achieve a lot of customizations through CSS.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Plumifrons wrote:
I did only an update, the forums are still visible in the control panel. I run the 05.00.04.SqlDataProvider script in the host sql with Run as Script option on. There were no errors.
I'll have to take a look this evening when I get home and see if I can determine what would cause that screen to show up. I can't think if anything in the upgrade process that would cause that to happen.
Apr 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Date and Time display formats are now configurable in settings.

Yea. Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Plumifrons wrote:
I'm investigating this issue and I need you to do something for me. I need to know what the "INSTALLDATE" value looks like that's stored in the DotNetNuke module settings for your active forums install.

You can get the module setting with the following sql (some modification may be required).

select * from dbo.ModuleSettings where ModuleID = { your forum module id}
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Note that I just posted an updated build of Beta 4 that includes the following:

1) Edit User Profile button didn't always work in Chrome/Safari
2) Possible fix to the issue Plimifrons reported about being redirected to the "Thank You" screen.
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM
jbrunken wrote:
I'm investigating this issue and I need you to do something for me. I need to know what the "INSTALLDATE" value looks like that's stored in the DotNetNuke module settings for your active forums install.
ModuleID SettingName SettingValue CreatedByUserID CreatedOnDate LastModifiedByUserID LastModifiedOnDate
654 INSTALLDATE 4/19/2013 6:00:32 PM 5413 2013-03-25 13:32:11.210 5413 2013-04-19 17:59:15.200
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM
After installing the last beta the forum is accessible again. Good job.
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Question about the time format. I have in the settings hh:mm I expect a 24 hour notation. For example 16:32 but I get 04:32
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM
It should be great when ‘Unanswered/Not Read/My Topics/Active Topics’ eventually can work with templates but I can understand that this is a lot of work. Maybe it is an idea to hardcode the topic options (Topic option editor, Edit, Delete, Move etc.) in these items.
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
jbrunken wrote:
  • Active Topics now defaults to "last day" rather than the time stamp of the last visit.
This is something I know my users will not like at all. Most of my users would like to see all the topics that have changed since there last visit. If you not come every day on the forum the default option ‘last day’ will not show all the needed topics and the users have to change every time to for example last week or last month. In the past I had a lot off discussions with Will about this. Not everybody wants the same default settings. A good solution for this is to give the users the chance to change the default setting in the ‘My Forum Settings’
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM
While uploading an attachment the ‘Choose file’ button name changes to the name of the file that is uploading. The name should not change.
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
When editing a topic the smiley column at the right side is repeating itself a lot of times. So the page becomes very long and is not easy to work with. Can this come because of the Beta with the start screen?

I see also on other different places repeating items. I think I have to make a new test website.
Apr 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Users Online functionality can now be enabled/disabled in settings. Okay.
Site bread crumb usage can now be enabled/disabled in settings. When this setting is enabled I don’t see a breadcrumb.
Profile links can now be disabled in settings. I see the extra option but with the default option the member name is not clickable.
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM
@Plumifons First, thank you for taking the time to test the beta and providing detailed, constructive feedback. That is extremely helpful!

Regarding the time format, for 24 hours, you want to use "HH:mm" or "H:mm". The casing of the "H"'s is what determine if it uses a 24 hour or 12 hour.

Regarding the Active Topics settings. The problem with "Last visit" is/was that it only worked for for the first visit back to the page. If you viewed a thread from the page and then went back to the Active Topic page, it would then most likely be empty or only have posts from the last few minutes because your "last visit" timestamp had been updated. Using "Last Day" as the default value helps to ensure that there is something there more often than plus it's a good default value from a performance standpoint. I totally agree that having it user configurable would be preferable. I started to go down that path, but I backed out due to time constraints. It's definitely something we can add in the mid-term future.

Regarding attachments. There are a number of things in that area that are broken and/or sub-optimal. I haven't even began to look at it yet. Eventually I (or perhaps another developer who comes on board) will re-work the attachment functionality from the ground up. I think there's a lot of great things that could be done there.

Regarding smileys and other duplicate items. That's definitely a side effect of the earlier bug. You'll need to go in and clean out some duplicates unfortunately. I'm going to look into adding a better check to prevent that from happening in the future.

Regarding bread crumbs, what you are turning on is the usage of the site bread crumb. In other words, it will use the bread crumb object in your DNN skin. If you're skin does not have a bread crumb, it will not be visible. If you turn that feature off, the top bread crumb will appear back in the forum.

Regarding profile links, good catch. That's definitely a bug. I've been looking into fixing it this afternoon and instead of doing a quick fix I've decided to rework a few things to make it simpler and more reusable. It's taking me a bit longer, but I should have an update out later today (hopefully).
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Time format HH:mm is doing the job.

Attachments, in the long term I think it should be handled in the radeditor using the user folders and customize Built-in Dialogs.

Duplicate items, I made a new test website and the duplicates are away.

Bread crumbs, They are working.
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Note, I just posted an updated version of Beta 4 that fixes the profile link issue and a few other bugs.

Another significant change is that "Profile Type" in settings has been replaced with "Profile Visibility". There is only one type of profile now, so having the select box didn't make any sense. The profile visibility option allows you finer control over who can click on profile links. Options include Disabled, Everyone, Authenticated, Moderators, and Admins.

These fixes touched quite a bit of code, so help testing this thoroughly is appreciated.
Apr 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM
profile link, I tested all the options and it works as expected.