Forum topics, replys and others not posting to the community on social

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this however Active Forums is involved.

I'd left the migration from AS to DNN Social or whatever we call it now for awhile and have gone through the process several times recently with various workarounds using the Migration Tool. The Profile Pics didn't move but that's okay they just need to be reloaded using Photo instead of ProfilePicture. I didn't move the Journal. Not necessary and the "Internal Server Error". Everything else was okay.

Thanks to jb ..... we fixed a few AF 5.0.3 issues yesterday. Now the only thing I can see that is not working is that all Journal Types only post to the User's Activity Stream. ie. if they post to Everyone, Community or Friends they are only seen on the User's page. All Journal Types in the Journal Module are checked.

Have I missed something here?
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 12:52 AM
You are using the Core Journal right and not the old Active Social journal?

It should be working. I know topics and replies do show up in the core journal on my site.
Mar 28, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Yes using the Core Journal. Only shows up on the Users journal (Status) Forum topics and replys not at all.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 1:23 AM
How long ago did you download AF 5.0.3? Might want to try a repair install as the original file had an issue with upgrades.
Mar 28, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Last download was 25th this month. Did a repair with it yesterday on the other thread you help me with so can't be that. Have also done the migration several times before using earlier versions (5.0.2) of the AF upgrade with same result. The thing is it is not just AF it applies to all Journal posts and comments.
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:11 AM
Any ideas on this anyone. I've tried posting on the Journal, uploading an image, Forum posts and topics as "Everyone", "Community Members" and "Friends" and all post as Private. As far as I can see this is all that is stopping a successful migration.
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Have you asked anyone on DotNetNuke.com? There aren't that many settings on the journal model, so I have no idea what the issue might be. Maybe remove and re-add it?
Apr 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Edited Apr 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM
No JB .... I haven't. Will go over there and ask. I've looked in the DB and try to figure out what controls where/when a post goes to the the Journal but it is not obvious.

Will let you know what I find out, if anything.

Thanks.
Apr 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Update: @jb .. I posted about this in the Community Exchange and in the Forum over on DNN.

http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Community-Exchange/Question/4069/Why-do-all-my-Journal-posts-post-as-Private.aspx

http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Resources/Forums/forumid/200/threadid/482441/scope/posts.aspx

Only one reply from and that was from Wes Tatters

"The current dnn core social is sadly somewhat of a mess... compared to active social ... in typical dnn form instead of just continuing the good work on the 3rd party module they have managed to break what was a not too bad module."

I got around to looking at my Profile and Activity Stream on the DNN site itself and found that the same thing is happening there. Well it appeared to be as all that was in my activity was stuff that I had generated. Then I set up a second DNN account and we passed messages (PM) back and forth all worked fine. Then posted to "Everyone" "Community Members" and to "Friends". Nothing appears on either account's Stream other that what each has posted.

Another member made a Friend Request which I accepted then I was able to see their Journal and It was the same. Just their stuff and nothing posted to the Community.

So the Question is now, "Is anyone actually using the Core Social?" No one seems interested that it doesn't work.
Coordinator
Apr 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM
@mervharvey I think you are misunderstanding how the feed works. There is a summary feed and a profile feed. The Profile Feed will always only show your items. The summary feed will show all items that you have permission to see. You can see this in action on DotNetNuke.com.
http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Community-Overview.aspx
Apr 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Thanks for that.

Okay that's how I expect the feed to work. I have looked at the Journal Settings many times and anywhere else I think that there maybe a setting. I can find nothing to switch the view from Profile to Summary feed.
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Now that's tricky. Seems like the module is on auto detect. On a page that is a Child of a Profile page it becomes Profile View. On a page outside of a Profile group the view becomes Summary.

I'm assuming that this is how the view is selected as I just dropped a Journal onto a page outside of the Profile and Summary appears. Correct?

Nowhere have I found that explained incl. videos.