DNN Social

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Did I miss something?

When DNN acquired ActiveModules, I thought or remember reading that ActiveSocial (integrated in DNN) will be open source and free, and part of CE. Now I read that DNN Social will be available only in DNN's paid version?

Am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

I am posting it here because most of the ActiveModules members are active here. So...
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM
It's a different "social" most of Active Social (for better or worse) is available to us now. DNN Social takes it to another level....it's a good looking product, Unfortunately they've priced it out of reach for a large segment that might need it (IMO).

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM, FrozenDNN <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Did I miss something?

When DNN acquired ActiveModules, I thought or remember reading that ActiveSocial (integrated in DNN) will be open source and free, and part of CE. Now I read that DNN Social will be available only in DNN's paid version?

Am I misunderstanding the whole thing?

I am posting it here because most of the ActiveModules members are active here. So...

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Regards,
Doug

Want to know a bit more about me, go to http://about.me/douglass.smith
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM
dpaulsmith wrote:
It's a different "social" most of Active Social (for better or worse) is available to us now. DNN Social takes it to another level....it's a good looking product, Unfortunately they've priced it out of reach for a large segment that might need it (IMO).
Ok. (I think we have got the worse of Active Social in DNN right now. Anyway..)

How is DNN Social different? What does it have? I am sorry but I have not seen their presentation. How much does it cost? I assume to get it one will have to get PE or EE?

Thanks.
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM
You don't have to have PE or EE, it's just a collection of modules that sit on top of the base of DNN. The price I heard was $8,000. It comes with more analysis tools about your users interactions, there's an upgraded version of the Community Voice, and there are some other minor upgrades in what we already have available to us. Those were my take aways but I'm sure I missed some other components.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:21 PM, FrozenDNN <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

dpaulsmith wrote:
Ok. (I think we have got the worse of Active Social in DNN right now. Anyway..)

How is DNN Social different? What does it have? I am sorry but I have not seen their presentation. How much does it cost? I assume to get it one will have to get PE or EE?

Thanks.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

--
Regards,
Doug

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM
And DNN Corp. keeps saying they are not into Module selling business :). And when you call out on their BS you get censured.
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Full disclosure...I don't think they came out and said it was a "module" but they positioned it like any other product from a third party in the store.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM, FrozenDNN <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

And DNN Corp. keeps saying they are not into Module selling business :). And when you call out on their BS you get censured.

--
Regards,
Doug

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Of course, they would do that. Did they say, "We are not selling Module. We are selling Sodule. There is a difference"
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Hey can we do that too? ROFL...Sodule....priceless.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM, FrozenDNN <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Of course, they would do that. Did they say, "We are not selling Module. We are selling Sodule. There is a difference"

--
Regards,
Doug

Developer
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Obviously I am biased, but I can say that DNN Social is much more than a module. It is a complete solution. The difference being that all the modules work together seamlessly and it is ready for users out of the box. DNN Social has nothing to do with Active Social, aside from the name.

Active Social was integrated in DNN 6.2 when the core messaging, member directory, journal, profile, etc modules were released as part of DNN Community Edition.
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Ben,

I don't have an issue with how it's positioned. I actually think it's a great module/module(s)/solution/product/whatever you want to call it from what I saw during the demo. It is in a lot of respects a game changer for DNN. I wish my communities could afford to use it.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:48 PM, benjironelson <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Obviously I am biased, but I can say that DNN Social is much more than a module. It is a complete solution. The difference being that all the modules work together seamlessly and it is ready for users out of the box. DNN Social has nothing to do with Active Social, aside from the name.

Active Social was integrated in DNN 6.2 when the core messaging, member directory, journal, profile, etc modules were released as part of DNN Community Edition.

--
Regards,
Doug

Editor
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM
As are a lot of DNN paid features. The problem is the price point for most of the stuff is so high that I wouldn't even dream of asking people to spend that kind of money. They would rather give me 3 times that amount spread out over a year to make it do similar things.

I actually have an organization that was interested in DNN PE and contacted sales. They lost that one on their own. Spoke with 3 people and was NEVER called back as promised. That's sad. It was theirs to lose and they did.
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I just want to emphasize a little more of what Ben already stated. DNN Social has absolutely nothing to do with Active Social. I did a webinar today that was probably the best overview of the product to date. That recording should be available in the next few days.

DNN Social is a separate install package that can sit on top of Community, Professional or Enterprise. It isn't a single module and it isn't a suite of modules. You will not find anything like it on the store. As Doug mentioned, we have placed a much higher emphasis on Community Analytics, Community Management and Gaming Mechanics rather than individual modules. The product is priced much higher than what some existing community members may expect, but it is a completely different offering that is focused on a specific market need.
Mar 28, 2013 at 11:41 AM
I saw the introduction webinar last week and it looks good. The price is way too high for me (12.000$ annually), though, but I realize that you are targeting corporations who typically look at Community Server, Sitecore or similar.

However, the forums are still the main part of my site, so I'm still counting on AF.

But I really like the gaming mechanism!! Is there any chance that the gaming mechanism will be added to the DNN core? Or is it a exclusive feature of DNN Social? I could really see some benefits in a central gaming feature that all modules including AF could use.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM
@allanedk The Gaming Mechanics system is reserved for DNN Social at the moment.

Here is a link to yesterday's webinar for those that are interested.

DNN Social Webinar
Mar 30, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I'm one of those people that purchased Active Social several years before it was acquired by DNN and never made it out of development with my site. I kept waiting for things I thought were important and I thought were just around the corner. Fast forward 5 years or so and here we are.

DNN Social is, for me, probably the most disappointing thing to come out of DNN since I chose to become involved with it. It looks like a nice product. But it looks like what I was optimistically assuming was the future of DNN Community Edition when the Active Social purchase was made. Now that DNN Social is a 12K/yr product, it's safe to assume social is officially not going to be a focus of Community Edition. They may add some features here and there, but you can't sell something for that high of a price if it isn't significantly different than what is free.

I'm disappointed. They are trying to make money, which as a business is their prerogative. But its still disappointing. I didn't in my wildest imagination anticipate a 12K/yr./server commitment to get the social features in DNN. As for the argument that DNN Social is not Active Social, that may be the case, but that to me is like saying Word 2007 is not Word 2010. After all of the time that has passed, I expected that the feature set would have evolved. I expected a different, better social feature set.

And, if you really look at it, DNN doesn't even have all of the Active Social features. Active Social had photo management and events. It had Active Forums. Now, none of those things are part of the community edition core.

Anyway, the product looks great. I will use it when the money is available. Its just a shame in my mind that one of the 3 keys DNN has pointed to as their future (social, mobile, cloud) is now being commercialized (and 4 times the cost of the Pro Edition at that).
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM
WOW this hit me sideways... I had no idea this was in the game plan...

All this time I was throwing down Ideas in Gemini, to not see them in CE but to a 12K per year edition.

HOLY CRAP!

No more donating Ideas for me... I will just pay to have them made.
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, I will still contribute as I can towards the Community projects as they are some of the coolest things on the planet right now, I just would like to see a community forum catch up to where phpBB was 5 years ago... maybe even better :)
Editor
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:39 AM
Want to help? Go like us on Facebook. The link is now on the AF Codeplex home page facebook.com/ActiveForums and help get the word out. There are a few of us who are actively pursuing bettering this project and keeping it alive. We are also currently building a website dedicated to AF and its improvements. All of us have the same goal in mind. We will make this the best forum available. We can't do it alone though. We need support, and people willing to put in the time. Help us by getting the word out.
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I am building my new Developer environment with Windows 8 and Windows 2012 server along with my new windows 8 phone... I will contribute soon possibly with a phone app that works with DNN. Hardly any apps for windows 8 phone.... Wish me luck :)

I will put the active forums on my like and see if I can help bring some much needed support.
Editor
Apr 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM
If an app for the forum is what you are referring to, I believe board runner or something like that works with existing tapatalk plugin. I haven't tested this yet but I'm about to. You may want to check into that.
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Edited Apr 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM
What StableEgg said 1000 times. I feel gut shot by this social offering being a separate sku after spending so much money on active social and then dnn ee licensing. I have a hard enough time selling our investment in DNN as it is and now all those social features we were promised would be available to us with PE are on the other side of a check for 12k per server? We can't upgrade any of our sites to DNN7 because forums wont work and social content wont migrate. We can't start from scratch with DNN 7 because the base social stuff is, if not technically buggy, severely limited and support of it, Active Social, Active Forums and DNNQA has all ceased in favor of this new product. So what am I supposed to do now? Hope other community members can keep donating their time to support the old stuff? Buy another third party module that will only be orphaned by tech changes made to accommodate DNN Social? Convince my cash strapped company to give DNN more money because this time it will be different? Yah, well, thanks, but I think I'm going to be doing some shopping elsewhere. If DNN Social delivers as well as EE did I think my money will be better spent re platforming all together. I'm not just disappointed, I'm embarrassed for being such an advocate of them.
Editor
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM
What is the problem with Active Forums on DNN 7? I have several sites that are on 7.0.5 and it works fine. It has a few things not perfect but its worlds better than DNN forum.

I've also upgraded a few from 5.6.7 on DNN forums 5.0.3 and they work better on AF 5 and DNN 7. Worlds better.

As for the rest, no comment. I'm sure the guys who built it didn't price it. That's a lot of money. I got people complaining about $200.
Editor
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM
And another thing. Apple makes a fortune off $0.99 apps.
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Edited Apr 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM
We haven't been able to successfully upgrade. I'll take the rest of my comments offline.
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Edited Apr 11, 2013 at 1:55 PM
-removed by author-