Social Groups Integration Instructions

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM
How do you integrate Active Forums with Social Groups?

I have tried adding a new Forum page under my main groups page and setting the forum mode to social groups, but new forums are not being added when I create a new Social Group.

Also I am trying to figure out how to add a forum control to the main Social Groups page so that users can see the latest discussion topics.

Is there some documentation out there that show how to implement these features?
Coordinator
Mar 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Unfortunately, there is not much/any documentation for AF 5 yet. You can get some information by looking at the old documentation on Activemodules.com.

It sounds like you've added it to the group page properly. Honestly, I'm not sure what the state of group integration is just yet. I haven't taken the time to look at that code and figure out how it works and what is/isn't working right now. My gut feeling is that there are probably some issue with it.

Regarding the latest topics on a group page. I think the closes you'll get with that is probably using the journal. The "What's New" module is not currently social group aware.

-JB
Mar 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
JB, I got it working. Now I am struggling to get forum posts to show up in the group journal. Strangely, they are forum posts in a group forum are showing up in the site journal, but not in the group journal. Both journals have the default settings.

Also is there a way to have the group forum default to topic view instead of forum view? It would be nice to enter topics directly instead o having to click on the forum name.
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Good deal.

I'm not sure why it shows the forums view rather than the topics view when on a groups page now. We were discussing that in another thread. AF 4.0 didn't do that.
May 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM
I was looking for some more info on this and found this by Will over on the Exchange.

It will definitely work with AF 5.0. That is one of the main reasons why we haven't released AF 5.0 yet. We have to make sure we get this part 100% correct. We've had to make some pretty fundamental changes to AF in order to provide the best solution possible. The end result is that AF can live in a group like a first class module. All of the challenges that many people faced in the past with redirect and URLs are now gone. The result of these changes also provides some additional flexibility. Now you can use a copy of an existing AF instance within a group or you can create a new instance that is specific for Social Groups. AF will automatically create and filter the forums that are necessary for a particular based upon the GroupId in the query string. Groups can also have various forum configurations. Meaning, one group could have a simple a list of topics while another group could have multiple forums. With AF 5.0, Groups get the full benefit of all the AF features and configuration options.

Did this actually happen? When I migrated from AS I only retained one Group and kept the Forum in the main Forum Group with permission for Group members only. I would like to bring it into the Group.
Coordinator
May 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM
My gut feeling is "no", but I'm not sure what the actual state of social group integration is. There is certainly not enough UI in the project now to handle all of those use cases for social groups.

I haven't really looked into it at all and it's definitely not on my short term radar. I'd much rather focus my limited time on improving the core forum functionality so that's what I've been doing. If another developer wants to come on board and work through all of that, I'd certainly welcome it.

If you really think through social group integration, it's probably one of the more difficult things to get right.
May 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Edited May 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Hi, it's not the most stable integration (since the DNN Group ID gets often lost during postbacks)
But you can do try this out (I've tried and it works):

Add the Active forum on your group page (the object here is that a page has a group id)
I added the Active Forum underneath Group Journal Module and set the forum mode to social groups,
Voilà.. Each group has their own forum visible on their group page.
You could add an instance of active forums to your admin page (to have a dashboard) and you'll see all of the groups.

P.S the problems I've experienced is that it work ok for like 1 minute, and soon as you start testing it out a bit, you see that when you get back from your group's AF topic post, the id of your dnn social group gets lost in the process.

Let me know about your experiences.
May 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Thanks will give it a try
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Is there any more on this subject? I would sure like to know what kind of experiences mervharvey and gdemotchkine are having with this?
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:45 PM
Has anyone done anything more with this? I've added AF to a group page and put it in Social mode but it seems to be acting like standard mode. I'm using 6.1.3.
Jan 7, 2015 at 9:59 PM
I spoke too soon. I just had to go back into the Settings again and then it was able to select a Group for "Forum Group for New Forums" and then it automatically creates a new Forum the first time you visit a group and only shows that forum for that group. Now I need to figure out how to make it open that forum by default.