Separate forums for each social group

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

It has been a while since I have used AF.  I thought the social groups were in a forum group and each had their own discussion forum created automatically upon creation of their respective groups.  I am not seeing any setting for this.  Has this been removed or handled a different way?

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Good question.

How social group integration works in AF5 is still a total mystery to me.   I haven't tried to dig into the code to figure out how it all works now.

Maybe Will or Ben can give us some insight.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM

AF handles this automatically when it is on a Group page.  All you have to do is create a page under your groups area and add an instance of Active Forums.  Everything else is handled automatically.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I thought that is probably how it worked.

I'm assuming there is no longer a way to bind a group forum to an existing forum?

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I see.  Pretty slick.  Got it up and working just fine.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM
jbrunken wrote:

I'm assuming there is no longer a way to bind a group forum to an existing forum?

I think you can do that in database directly (according to Will)

I was wondering whether is a way to show the topics view as the groups default view instead of the forum view? Especially since there is only one forum per group. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I was playing around with it earlier and I noticed the same thing.  I'm wondering if there is a way you can have multiple forums associated with a group.  If so,the list view makes sense, otherwise it should go straight to the topics view IMO.  In Active Social, it did go straight to the topics view.

If there is a way to associate existing forums with a group, I'd love to learn how to do it.   That's the kind of info that needs to be put into the documentation wiki here.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I think the froum ids associated with social groups are saved in the social group table. You can manually add the existing forum id there. I have never tried it but I asked Will about this long time ago and that was his reply to my best recollection. 

Using my cell to type so please excuse my errors. Thanks

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM
ActiveModules wrote:

AF handles this automatically when it is on a Group page.  All you have to do is create a page under your groups area and add an instance of Active Forums.  Everything else is handled automatically.

Hi Will
If AF handles this automatically: What is the ModuleSetting: "Forum Mode" (Standard / Social Groups) for?

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:05 AM
It handles the creation of the forums automatically. You do have to make sure the mode is set to Social Groups.

Thanks,
Will

On Jan 28, 2013, at 10:00 PM, "coreto" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

ActiveModules wrote:

AF handles this automatically when it is on a Group page. All you have to do is create a page under your groups area and add an instance of Active Forums. Everything else is handled automatically.

Hi Will
If AF handles this automatically: What is the ModuleSetting: "Forum Mode" (Standard / Social Groups) for?