AF 5 Ads Support

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Edited Jan 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

The old forum module for DNN was supporting ads (or whatever you want to display). You could also display an ad after X number of posts in a thread.

Any ideas how that could be made for AF 5 ? I mean display an ad after a number of posts in a thread (usually after the first post) ?

If this can't be done using the templates (i haven't found a way), could that be planed for a future update ?

Is anybody needing this feature ?

Thanks

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I agree this would be a nice feature to have.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

AF already supports this through the templates.  I'll see if I can dig up some of the old docs.

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM
ActiveModules wrote:

AF already supports this through the templates.  I'll see if I can dig up some of the old docs.

I have found ways to inject ads in the template, on top and at the end of a thread.

But are you sure there is a way to display something AFTER the first post (or after X posts in a thread) ?

Jan 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

How familiar are you with jQuery?   With jQuery and a bit of Creativity, you should be able to write a script to put ads wherever you want.   Maybe not the easiest solution, but the end result would be super flexible.

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM

It seems that AF (ent edition) supported DNN Banners in the templates. Is that still so ?

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM
jbrunken wrote:

How familiar are you with jQuery?   With jQuery and a bit of Creativity, you should be able to write a script to put ads wherever you want.   Maybe not the easiest solution, but the end result would be super flexible.

Personally i can't do that but i can find someone to do it. Still, i try not to complicate things  ....

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Edited Jan 25, 2013 at 2:52 AM

I have found the information and works very very well in Topics.

http://geekswithblogs.net/Lance/archive/2009/09/17/adding-google-adsense-to-activemodulesrsquo-activeforums.aspx

http://web.archive.org/web/20080704131442/http://www.snapsis.com/DotNetNuke-Tutorials/tabid/560/forumid/16/postid/6691/view/topic/Adding-Adsense-Advertising-to-ActiveForums-Topics-.aspx

Apr 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM
With this thread in mind, I made some changes to the AF code this weekend to help support this.

In the next AF 5.0.4 beta, you will have the ability to specify a [REPLYSEPARATOR] token that will render a separator between each forum post.

Alternatively, you can specify an integer to limit the separator to a specific reply number. For example, if you specify [REPLYSEPARATOR:2] the separator will be shown between the 2nd and 3rd post displayed when the topicview is rendered to the screen.

I tested it with the [BANNER] token that already exists in AF and it works great.
Apr 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM
I originally purchased AF/AS Ent edition via DNN Corp and that was one thing that never worked for me (dropping in the [BANNER] token). Will look forward to 5.0.4.

Thanks.
Apr 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM
The banner tag was not working for me either. It appears that the "BannerCount" option has to be specified in the control declaration and that was not happening. This may be a case where the control changed in DNN and ended up breaking the AF code.

In any case, I've fixed it and it does work properly in the build I've been working on.