Breadcrump at the top

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I have posted 2-3 times this problem here and in Issues also.

Got two different replies. One that it is a bug and one that it is by design.

Can't be by design (Activemodules) so here it comes again.

When viewing posts you have the breadcrump option at the bottom

Forums > Default Group > Sample Forum 1

but nothing at the Top. That makes impossible to navigate easily.

So looking at the templates i see that at the top the code exists BUT not WORK

<div  class="afcrumb">[FORUMMAINLINK] > [FORUMGROUPLINK] > [FORUMLINK]</div>

and comparing with the code at the bottom

<div class="afcrumb">[FORUMMAINLINK] > [FORUMGROUPLINK] > [FORUMLINK]</div>

I see an extra space on the first, after the div and that is why it doesn't work/show.

BUT i was told this is by design. If by design why the code exists ? And how are we supposed to navigate ?

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Thank's for suggestion. Now It work!

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:41 PM
skiank wrote:

Thank's for suggestion. Now It work!

According to this

https://activeforums.codeplex.com/workitem/1473

we are all wrong. it is buy design ? and the issue was closed. A few replies above in the issue an other developper said thanks for the findings.

So what is the verdict ?

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM

In the issue 1473 benjironelson was clear. Breadcumbs are deprecated. But told us that if we want the template may be integrated with breadcumbs.
I didn't see the double space before now. And my verdict is that I'm happy because breadcumbs work in the top and my 5.0.2 test going ahead ok.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Edited Dec 23, 2012 at 10:09 PM
skiank wrote:

In the issue 1473 benjironelson was clear. Breadcumbs are deprecated. But told us that if we want the template may be integrated with breadcumbs.
I didn't see the double space before now. And my verdict is that I'm happy because breadcumbs work in the top and my 5.0.2 test going ahead ok.

I don't get it. You have two instances of breadcrumbs but the top is only deprecated ? The second is ok ?

How about Navigation ? How about user interface ?

ps: there were other posts in that issue that were deleted.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I think this is a clear case of "you can't make everyone happy".

I for one hate having dual breadcrumbs at the top.  I like the idea of the forums making use of the main navigation breadcrumbs.

-JB

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM
jbrunken wrote:

I think this is a clear case of "you can't make everyone happy".

I for one hate having dual breadcrumbs at the top.  I like the idea of the forums making use of the main navigation breadcrumbs.

-JB

Nope. I think it is just very hard to communicate with the developers. And you don't get an proper reply. Timely also.

ps: I don't see any dual breadcrumbs anywhere at the top. I don't see any breadcrumbs at the top.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2012 at 6:55 PM

It's probably something with your template then.   I have breadcrumbs at the top and bottom of my forums and  I'm using the default AF templates.

As for communication, we'll I don't disagree but that's the problem with open source projects.  Unless you have at least one person who has both a passion for the project and the time to devote to it, things don't tend to happen fast.   My guess is that Will still has the passion, but not the time.   There are several developers associated with this project but all of them have been pretty quiet.  I'm still hopeful that at some point interest will catch on and things will speed up.

I'd love to contribute to it myself, but I don't have much experience with DNN modules.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure Will is just slammed with all of his new responsibilities at DNN corp.  I plan to help once we get a stable 7.0 version, but I don't want to jump in when I know the experts are busy working on it.  I'd just get in the way.

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Edited Dec 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM
jbrunken wrote:

It's probably something with your template then.   I have breadcrumbs at the top and bottom of my forums and  I'm using the default AF templates.

As for communication, we'll I don't disagree but that's the problem with open source projects.  Unless you have at least one person who has both a passion for the project and the time to devote to it, things don't tend to happen fast.   My guess is that Will still has the passion, but not the time.   There are several developers associated with this project but all of them have been pretty quiet.  I'm still hopeful that at some point interest will catch on and things will speed up.

I'd love to contribute to it myself, but I don't have much experience with DNN modules.

Nothing wrong with my templates. Default.

For the rest you write, i have stated from the start that AF 5 are in "early beta" stage. Got some angry pms about it, but it is ok. Truth is not always accepted easily. AF 5 need a lot of work, that appartently nobody has the time to do. I do not blaim anyone, i'm just saying the facts. Just the way things are.