5.0.2 Attachment

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2012 at 1:32 AM

 

I'm sorry to say that the issue of Forum attachments still doesn't work with 5.02.

I will not write anything more about that, since it has been a problem from the initial "stable" version.

Apparently it will be never fixed.

DNN 6.2.5 Community edition

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I don't know why attachments are not working for you, but they do indeed work for most people.  We have had multiple test in multiple environments all with success.  We had an issue with IE, but that was fixed in 5.0.2.  If you would like to actually help us fix this, you will have to provide us more details.  A screencast would probably be the best way to show us the problem you are having.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

 

I'm always willing to help if you are willing to get helped. I have offered details with pm here to you but never got any reply.

I have nothing special in my pc or my server. I'm a professional and i work daily with DNNs and other cms software for my customers and my own venture.

The problem i have is that the "upload" option can't be selected. There is no link to it (for me). With FF, IE, Chrome, Opera, same error. I have disabled all AV or other software. I only have Comodo firewall that i do not disable ever. I run Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I have checked also with XP, with the same problem.

Also not sure i only have the problem, since it has been mentioned here by others also.

See:

http://activeforums.codeplex.com/workitem/1700

http://activeforums.codeplex.com/workitem/1571

Also the Browse works but opens an empty window (with no options or files shown).

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM

For the record, I just tested attachments in both IE 9 (windows) and FF 17 (windows).  

Both worked fine for me.   There were a few visual anomalies that could probably be chocked up to CSS issues, but other than that it worked great.    It has some nice improvements over the AF 4.0 version.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you either.   The obvious thing (which I'm sure you've already done) is to clear your browser cache and make sure you have the latest CSS & JS files.

Other than that, I wonder if there might be a CSS conflict somewhere that is causing part of the UI to be obscured?    I'd recommend using something like the FireBug plugin for firefox to see what's happening in the DOM when you interact with the UI.

-JB

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Also, what is the DOCTYPE for your skin?

If you want to try on another AF 5 install, feel free to create an account on my test site:

http://test.greateriowareefsociety.org/

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM

@jbrunken

I use the standard 6.2.5 skin so DOCTYPE is HTML.

I assure you i have done everything possible from clear browser cache to restart the IIS 7.5 pool.

 

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

 

I see two errors:

When selecting Browse from site i see in Chrome Console

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '$root' of undefined

&

Uncaught ReferenceError: CodeMirror is not defined

 

also also i see something that is related to my hosting (example script from the html source) :

async="" src="https://d1ros97qkrwjf5.cloudfront.net/42/eum/rum.js"

Could that be a problem ?

I use Applied Innovations cloud hosting.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I have the same problem.  I am using 7.0 though.  It is a new install.

I'll admit, I thought this was a known issue and have been waiting patiently for a fix instead of trying to investigate further.

I can select a file, but I receive an error message from AF that is temporary (all it says is "some error message").  It goes away after a few seconds.  The Select File button is now labeled instead with the name of the file I tried to upload.  However, the tooltip says "No File Chosen".  The text "upload" is not a hyperlink. And, there are no files in the file list.

I've tried the default skin.  I've tried multiple browsers.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I'm not sure what those errors are, but I don't see any Javascript errors when I load the forum page on my site.

I don't recognize any of that stuff, but the reference to "$root" leads me to believe it might be related to something that uses knockout.js.

I'd definitely try and eliminate those errors because who knows what other problems they may be causing if they are interfering with the forums.

I'm running DNN 6.2.5 for the record.

-JB

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM
zaratustra wrote:

 

I see two errors:

When selecting Browse from site i see in Chrome Console

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '$root' of undefined

&

Uncaught ReferenceError: CodeMirror is not defined

 

also also i see something that is related to my hosting (example script from the html source) :

async="" src="https://d1ros97qkrwjf5.cloudfront.net/42/eum/rum.js"

Could that be a problem ?

I use Applied Innovations cloud hosting.

None of those items are related to AF.  I'm not sure what CodeMirror is but that isn't from AF either.  Usually when you see errors like this it is caused by a javascript library conflict.  This could be jQuery, jQuery UI or Knockout.js.  If something else on the page is loading an older version of those libraries it could cause errors like you have mentioned.  

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
StableEgg wrote:

I have the same problem.  I am using 7.0 though.  It is a new install.

I'll admit, I thought this was a known issue and have been waiting patiently for a fix instead of trying to investigate further.

I can select a file, but I receive an error message from AF that is temporary (all it says is "some error message").  It goes away after a few seconds.  The Select File button is now labeled instead with the name of the file I tried to upload.  However, the tooltip says "No File Chosen".  The text "upload" is not a hyperlink. And, there are no files in the file list.

I've tried the default skin.  I've tried multiple browsers.

7.0 is a completely different problem.  Attachments use the Service Framework which is different between 6.2 and 7.0.  I'm working on a 7.0 compatible version.  Should be ready next week.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I only use Ventrian modules and CKeditor module.

I'm not sure how to debug this further.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying...Looking forward to the 7.0 version!

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM
zaratustra wrote:

I only use Ventrian modules and CKeditor module.


Are you using CKEditor for the editor in AF?   That would change it to default DNN editor temporarily and see if that has any effect on things.

I can't see how the Ventrian modules could interfere unless they are also included on the same page as the forum.

-JB

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Good call JB!  CodeMirror is a javascript plugin for inserting code into HTML.  I bet CKEditor is loading this.  Another way to test would be to just turn off HTML and use the plain text box option in the forum settings.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yeah, I just installed the CKEditor provider to see if I could duplicate the problem.   After installing it, I do see the CodeMirror errors in the error log.

However, the attachment function does seem to still work for me.

HOWEVER, if I upload an image and then try and create a thumbnail or insert it, I get an popup alert that says the editor is not supported so it does appear that CKEditor and AF 5.0 are not entirely compatible.

@Zaratustra: Are you using the latest version of the CKEditor provider?

 

-JB

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2012 at 6:26 PM
jbrunken wrote:
zaratustra wrote:

I only use Ventrian modules and CKeditor module.


Are you using CKEditor for the editor in AF?   That would change it to default DNN editor temporarily and see if that has any effect on things.

I can't see how the Ventrian modules could interfere unless they are also included on the same page as the forum.

-JB

I did. I completely uninstalled that provider just to be sure. No change.

As for the insert problem, Ingo has provided a code fix that is still under consideration here ..

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I'm really at a loss... Are your forums publicly accessible so I could take a look?

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM
ActiveModules wrote:

Good call JB!  CodeMirror is a javascript plugin for inserting code into HTML.  I bet CKEditor is loading this.  Another way to test would be to just turn off HTML and use the plain text box option in the forum settings.

been there, done that already.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM
jbrunken wrote:

I'm really at a loss... Are your forums publicly accessible so I could take a look?


Sure. PM on the way.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I can't find a PM from you.  Feel free to email will.morgenweck at dnncorp if you would like me to take a look.

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:17 PM
ActiveModules wrote:

I can't find a PM from you.  Feel free to email will.morgenweck at dnncorp if you would like me to take a look.


If jbrunken doesn't find the problem, i will.

 

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

@Zaratustra:   I think I see the problem.   The journal module that you have below your forum is causing a conflict and causing the attachment form to break.   Remove the journal module and I bet the forums start working perfectly for you.

You should probably give the info to Will so he can take a look at this and see what exactly is going on.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Edited Dec 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM
jbrunken wrote:

@Zaratustra:   I think I see the problem.   The journal module that you have below your forum is causing a conflict and causing the attachment form to break.   Remove the journal module and I bet the forums start working perfectly for you.

You should probably give the info to Will so he can take a look at this and see what exactly is going on.


I do not believe it!!

Removing the Journal module from the page, BOTH problems are solved. Upload works and the Browse from Site opens normally with files.

Jbrunken many thanks, i would have never thought that !

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2012 at 1:05 AM
Edited Dec 22, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Good Deal!   Glad you got it figured out!

@Will If you add a Journal module below the AF module, you'll see the same behavior he was describing.  I don't know if it has to be in the same pane or not.   Probably not a real common configuration, but it does cause an issue.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM

 

I have opened an issue about it.

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Same problem for me... I've the journal in my forum and attach not work as zaratustra. Now I've removed journal and work properly.

OK, I go ahead with my test and conversion...

If you find a workaround to use journal in the same page let me khnow!!

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM
ActiveModules wrote:
StableEgg wrote:

I have the same problem.  I am using 7.0 though.  It is a new install.

I'll admit, I thought this was a known issue and have been waiting patiently for a fix instead of trying to investigate further.

I can select a file, but I receive an error message from AF that is temporary (all it says is "some error message").  It goes away after a few seconds.  The Select File button is now labeled instead with the name of the file I tried to upload.  However, the tooltip says "No File Chosen".  The text "upload" is not a hyperlink. And, there are no files in the file list.

I've tried the default skin.  I've tried multiple browsers.

7.0 is a completely different problem.  Attachments use the Service Framework which is different between 6.2 and 7.0.  I'm working on a 7.0 compatible version.  Should be ready next week.

 

Just curious how the 7.0 compatible version is coming along?  Thanks!

Apr 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Have upgraded to 7.0.5 and now have this issue.

Just as Stable Egg posted above."I can select a file, but I receive an error message from AF that is temporary (all it says is "some error message"). It goes away after a few seconds. The Select File button is now labeled instead with the name of the file I tried to upload. However, the tooltip says "No File Chosen". The text "upload" is not a hyperlink. And, there are no files in the file list.'

If I click "Browse from Site" the Pop up seems to have an issue selecting the correct User Folder. Shows the root / then two folder icons and a broken image on the right. Checked the folder permissions and no that.

Ave removed all modules from the page except forum module.

Image
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM
What version of the forum are you using and which browser.

I just checked the file upload capability using the latest 5.0.4 beta with the Chrome browser (OSX) and it works fine. Granted, the attachment system is not quite where it needs to be, but it does perform the basic functions properly.

The browse from site functionality also works properly for me.
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Edited Apr 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Maybe this sheds a bit of light on this.

Until now I have just one instance of AF. I want to create 2 more instances, 1 for Community and 1 for Social Groups. Created two new pages and added an instance to one of them. Then into the DB to see if I can figure out how to move Forums from one instance to another. What I found is that there is not just the Instance that I just created but another instance (not the original) directly above the new one This instance was created 4 days ago, not by me.

Looks like it was created during the upgrade process from 6.2.7 to 7.0.5. It is in the DB but I can't find it on any page. Weird or what?

EDIT: Okay well it was me. I forgot it is used for Forum Settings in the User Profile pages. Anyway I deleted it to see if it had any effect on whats happening. Negative.
Apr 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM
@ JB

Using 5.0.3 on dnn 7.0.5. Tested on all browsers with the same result. Can't access existing files or upload new. I'm on a test site so might run the 5.0.4 beta and see.

I'm testing to upgrade from 6.2.7 with AF 5.0.3. Was working fine there. Just not now that I have upgraded to 7.0.5
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Edited Apr 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM
@JB
The upgrade to 5.0.4 beta has fixed the Attachment uploader issue.

The problems I see here now are:-
1) After an image file is uploaded. If User clicks 'Insert Image" it is posted at the original size eg 2200 x 1650 whereas before we set a max in the settings eg 650 x 450 and it was scaled to the max. size.

2) The Create Thumbnail popup needs a close button in case you change your mind.

3) The "Display Link" button. Does nothing. A link is displayed every time. Click don't click there is always a link. Just noticed that if an image is deleted from a post the Displayed Link remains.