Anyone using this in production yet?

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Is anyone using this in production yet?

I'm still running DNN 5 with Active Social and AF 4.0 and I'd really like to start the upgrade process but I feel trapped.  The release of DNN 7 only makes this worse from an upgrade standpoint.

I can live with the changes between Active Social and DNN 6.2+ but the forums are the heart of my site and I really need them to work correctly.

Not sure what to do.  Between a rock and a hard place.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Hi

I don't know if this is really helpful, but we installed AF 5.0.1 on DNN6.2 (Fresh Install) and recently upgraded to DNN7. The module works (although without Social Integration), upgrade went flawless.

We migrated the site from Rainbowportal where were using YetAnotherForum.net and decided to dump all Forum entries so far. See the forum live at www.walensee.org

Reto

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM
coreto wrote:

We migrated the site from Rainbowportal where were using YetAnotherForum.net and decided to dump all Forum entries so far. See the forum live at www.walensee.org

Reto

I see that Active Topics not work properly in you forum too... :-(

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM

No major DNN forum has converted. And it is normal.

If i'm wrong please feel free to post some URL of DNN using AF 5x.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Sadly, Active Forum seems to be taking the same path as most/all of the other open source DNN modules.   When nobody is getting paid to work on it, progress grinds to a halt.   This isn't a knock against the people who are volunteering on this and other DNN modules.  I know how hard it is to find the time to do volunteer work sometime.  It's more of a knock against DNN Corp.   I wish they would at least allocate enough developer time to make sure that modules like this are free of show-stopper type bugs before they "open source" them and depend on volunteers to do all the work.

It's so frustrating to build a site around these modules and then have the rug pulled out from under you.   I've got a forum with over 100,000 messages that I can't just abandon and start over.

I've decided to go ahead and make the leap to AF 5.0    I think I can live with the bugs for now and just hope that the updates start flowing again at some point.

If I can find a good commercial forum module that has social integration and will import messages from AF, I'll probably make the jump, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rock | Me | Hard Place

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Yes it is the same road. I had this with the DNN Blog (also an open source here). After a while i droped it and switched to Ventrian (and never looked back). But now, apart from the excellent YAF module, there is no other way (even paid).

Sad.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Active Forum 4 was a good forum. Active Forum 4 integrated as Core Module in DNN, integrated with social feaututes of DNN 6.2 is the right way. I hope AF5 may become stable and bug free as soon as possibile.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM
skiank wrote:

Active Forum 4 was a good forum. Active Forum 4 integrated as Core Module in DNN, integrated with social feaututes of DNN 6.2 is the right way. I hope AF5 may become stable and bug free as soon as possibile.

I have no idea what you call "a good forum". What is a good forum (software) ?

AF all versions compared with the industry standard Forums software is far behind. Very Far behind.

Personally i like the old DNN forum module. Works most of the time and it is wrong it was discontinued in favor of AF. It needed a little work to be current, but instead we were forced into the AF adventure.

Do you know the history of AF 5 ? Do you know it has been more than 2 years that it was promised ?

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I had good luck with Active Forums 4 for a long time (100K+ messages) and I don't think AF5 is very far from being a decent solution.   I would agree that in general the DNN forum space is way, way behind the rest of the world.    I'm constantly asked "why doesn't our forum have this like the other boards" for stuff like Tapatalk, etc.

Honestly, I don't need the ultimate forum solution.  Most of the bells & whistles features don't get used that much anyway.  It's the core functionality that means the most and I just need that stuff to work right.

I still have hope that we will see some kind of activity on this project.   If we don't, I don't know what I will do.  It's not like I have a bunch of choices.    It's very frustrating.

Zaratustra: You mentioned Ventrian.  I use quite a few of their modules including news articles.  However, I just discovered http://www.easydnnsolutions.com/  These guys do it right IMO.   Their social integration is top notch.   I'm switching over to their news and gallery modules.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

@jbrunken

Nice you still have hope for AF 5. I do not. Especially with the total negative attitude the ex-owners have toward the Issues reported (i speak for ActiveForums and some guy benjironelson). Impossible to communicate. Snobism is not something new to developers, most have it for some reason.

As for Ventrian. Scott in 2012 is probably not at his best. We will see as DNN 7 is out. Ventrian modules at that price and license is still unbeatable. Very stable also.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Edited Dec 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM
zaratustra wrote:

I have no idea what you call "a good forum". What is a good forum (software) ? 

Compared with other forums for DNN. I know that the industry standard if far behind. But for DNN there are not a lot of choise.
I'm yet here and I'm waiting because AF 5 may be the only forum I think may replace the old core forum now.