Unable to view posts

Nov 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I'm still unable to view posts, making AF5 unusable for me. I don't see any other reporting the same problem. Can all of you view topics/posts in AF5?

When viewing a post (or trying to!), I get the following error: InnerException: Input string was not in a correct format.

I get the error even if I use an empty TopicView-template. I can't debug it any further and need help.

For the detailed error message, see the issue that I created some time: http://activeforums.codeplex.com/workitem/1631

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Was this a fresh install of AF? Or did you upgrade from the core forums?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Was this a fresh install of AF? Or did you upgrade from the core forums?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Thanks for replying, christoc.

It was a fresh install - or actually I upgraded from AF4.

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I have spend A LOT of time playing with all versions of AF 5 and i haven't seen that.

But not locally as you seem to do. Maybe that could be something to look for ...

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Never seen that.

Teste more times with clean install, conversione from core forum and upgrade from AF5.0.0 to 5.0.1

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Weird. Just tried a clean install of DNN and AF5 (no upgrades, no existing data) and it works fine.

Any idea of how I can debug and find the problem causing this? I'm pretty stuck here.

I'm using Ifinity URL Master, but get the error even if I switch the rewriting off.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Edited Nov 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Do you know which data is loaded and tried parsed (parseDecimal) when viewing a topic (I created a blank TopicView template and PostInfo template, so no data should be loaded by the template)?

Maybe that will give a hint. See this part of the error message:

System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)

at

System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) ved DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.LoadData(Int32 PageId)

Thanks!

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM

We had the same issue. Make sure you set all your forums and groups to use the default templates before you upgrade, also after upgrading we had duplicates of every template, if you have customised them then you may want to back them up. After the upgrade, delete the old duplicate templates. That worked for us, and we them moved on to customising the templates (note that the namespaces have changed).

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Ok, I tried to restore the site, change all forums to use the default template and then upgraded to AF5. Still get the same error. I also tried uninstalling Active Social, as I suspected that to conflict. But nothing helps. 

I looked at the templates (in /desktopmodules/activeforums/config/templates) but there are no duplicates. I can't see a a difference in namespace either. What is the correct namespace in AF5? Is it <%@ Register TagPrefix="am" Namespace="DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls" Assembly="DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums">?

Thanks

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Oh, and by the way: I don't see any duplicates in the control panel either.

Extra260: Did you do anything else and where did you see the duplicated templates?

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I tried to modify the register namespace line in the TopicView-template to something completely nonsense like <%Register XXXTagPrefix="am". It causes an error in the other templates but when viewing posts I always get the same error.

Seems that what is causing the error is happening before the template are even loaded.

Anybody knows what is being loaded before the template?

Extra260: Was this your experience as well?

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM
allanedk wrote:

Oh, and by the way: I don't see any duplicates in the control panel either.

Extra260: Did you do anything else and where did you see the duplicated templates?

I saw the duplicate templates in the control panel.. possibly because we edited them before, not sure. In the end we created all new templates, my web developer had a lot of fun getting things working ( http://www.finalbuilder.com/support/forums.aspx ) and we are still having lots of other issues with the forums. To say I regret upgrading to AF5 would be an understatement.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:00 AM

We just hit this problem again and I can tell you it had nothing to do with the templates. I had one forum in a group that had this issue.. changing it to not inherit it's settings from the group fixed it.. change it back, same problem again. In the end I went into the database, in the activeforums_groups table, find the groupsettingskey value for the group, then in the activeforums_Settings table delete any settings for that group, then go into the control panel and set up the settings as desired. This fixed it for me, hope it helps.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Great! When I remove the "inherit settings" I can view posts. 

I tried deleting all group settings in the activeforums_Settings table and manually updated all settings in the control panel. Now it works.

Thank you very much Extra260.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Thanks for posting the solution to this.  It was driving me absolutely crazy.

I found that if I had any forums that were already setup to NOT inherit group permissions, I had to delete all of the settings for that forum as well.

It's pretty easy to go back in and apply whatever settings are needed for forums and groups.   I'm glad that it doesn't mess up permissions.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

great job Extra260

Thanks

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:43 AM
Edited Jan 31, 2013 at 3:45 AM
The solutions mentioned above aren't working for me.
My scenario: I migrated data from Active Forums 4.3.5 to 5.0.3 through SQL scripts.
For the most part, it migrated over easily. Only a few new columns to deal with...and here's what I did:

activeforums_Forums
  • SocialGroupId - set to 0
  • HasProperties - set to False
activeforums_Topics
  • NextTopic - wrote query to populate
  • PrevTopic - wrote query to populate
activeforums_Content
  • ContentItemId - set to null
activeforums_Content_Attachments
  • FileURL - left null (still need to figure out what to do with these)
  • FileName - left null (still need to figure out what to do with these)
  • DisplayLink - left null (still need to figure out what to do with these)
  • ContentType - left null (still need to figure out what to do with these)
After the that, I set the ModuleId to the appropriate value in the AF tables (11 tables).

The forums and topics display perfectly, but I can't click into the topics.
I tried deleting all of the group settings in activeforums_Settings, but that caused the Admin to break for most forums (when I click to edit forums, it does nothing - it doesn't load the edit page).

Any ideas? I think I might need to stick with 4.3.5...attachments don't work either (javascript error - 404 loading ASHX).
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:12 AM
OK...figured it out.
I noticed some of the Groups had settings that the forums used, while other forums had their own settings.
Even when I deleted the Group Settings, the Admin wouldn't work. So here's what I did:
  1. UPDATE activeforums_Forums SET ForumSettingsKey = 'G:' + CAST(ForumGroupId AS varchar(10))
  2. DELETE FROM activeforums_Settings WHERE (GroupKey NOT IN ('GEN')) --Ay idea what this is? I assumed a default/"general" setting list?
  3. Created a "Test" forum. Ended up being ForumId 459
  4. Copied those settings to all groups:
    INSERT INTO activeforums_Settings
    (ModuleId, GroupKey, SettingName, SettingValue)
    SELECT S.ModuleId, G.GroupSettingsKey, S.SettingName, S.SettingValue
    FROM activeforums_Settings AS S CROSS JOIN
    activeforums_Groups AS G
    WHERE (S.GroupKey = 'F:459')
  5. IISRESET - I think this is necessary...AF seems to cache some stuff.
Voila! Thanks everyone for their help!
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Thanks for posting your fix information. We need to get this fixed in the forum so that people who've just upgraded don't run into it.
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Not sure how to test this since i haven't seen it in my convertion. I was helped by Skiank so maybe i already have this fixed.

How can i check if i have the above problem ?

thanks
Feb 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 3:59 AM
New install of AF (latest) in DNN 7.
Problem: cant view topic. I tried the remove group inherit settings, but it did not work.

Error message:
Error: Active Forums is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. ---> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.SortedList2.get_Item(TKey key) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapability.GetCapabilities(SortedList2 properties) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapability.Initialise(SortedList`2 properties) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapability..ctor(HttpBrowserCapabilities browserCaps) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.GetClientCapability(String userAgent) at DotNetNuke.Services.ClientCapability.ClientCapabilityProvider.GetClientCapability(HttpRequest httpRequest) at DotNetNuke.Services.ClientCapability.ClientCapabilityProvider.get_CurrentClientCapability() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_quickreplyform..ctor() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView..ctor() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Classic.GetControl(String view, String options) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

How can I fix this? I am new to both DNN and ASP.NET. Really like AF:s simpler interface and aethetic.
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 4:02 AM
@z4m3

AF latest you say. Is that the 503 beta for DNN 7 or what exactly version you installed ?

Does it happen to all posts ? Locally hosted ?
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM
Sorry for that. I tried both the 5.00.02 and the 5.0.3 for DNN7. The error are the same.

It happens to all post. I have it on a shared hosting server.
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM
z4m3 wrote:
Sorry for that. I tried both the 5.00.02 and the 5.0.3 for DNN7. The error are the same.

It happens to all post. I have it on a shared hosting server.
If this is a test installation (and you don't care), try to delete

eventqueue.config from Portal/_default/EventQueue
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM
It is, actually, on a production site, though the forum page is not visable for visitors. I do not dare to delete it.

Does 5.00.02 work with DNN7? Why that error message? I can see the post well in preview, and all other functions work well. Just the view post is not working.
Feb 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM
z4m3 wrote:
It is, actually, on a production site, though the forum page is not visable for visitors. I do not dare to delete it.

Does 5.00.02 work with DNN7? Why that error message? I can see the post well in preview, and all other functions work well. Just the view post is not working.
If you delete it, it will be recreated.

No problem. This was the solution for that error from an other module i had. The solution was provided by the developer, no idea why.
Feb 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM
@z4m3

This is a new error that I haven't seen before. I'll look into it and see if I can figure out what's going on.

-JB
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Error: Active Forum is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Input string was not in a correct format. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format. at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatProvider provider) at System.Convert.ToInt32(Object value) at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.LoadData(Int32 PageId) at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.OnLoad(EventArgs e) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

This is the same error you guys are talking about right? This is happening to few of my forums.
Feb 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM
Yes, that looks like the same error.
Mar 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Hi all,

Today I installed the latest 5.0.3 version (for production) for DNN 7, I still get the same error and unable to view topic.

Any progress on it?

Error: Active Forums is currently unavailable. DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. ---> System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary. at System.Collections.Generic.SortedList2.get_Item(TKey key) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapability.GetCapabilities(SortedList2 properties) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapability.Initialise(SortedList`2 properties) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapability..ctor(HttpBrowserCapabilities browserCaps) at DotNetNuke.Providers.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.FiftyOneClientCapabilityProvider.GetClientCapability(String userAgent) at DotNetNuke.Services.ClientCapability.ClientCapabilityProvider.GetClientCapability(HttpRequest httpRequest) at DotNetNuke.Services.ClientCapability.ClientCapabilityProvider.get_CurrentClientCapability() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.af_quickreplyform..ctor() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView..ctor() at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Classic.GetControl(String view, String options) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Mar 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM
I have the same issue after upgrading from 4.3.8 to 5.0.3

All my theme images are missing, e.g http://test.pokerdiy.com/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/red/images/topic_delete.gif

and I get

'Poker Forums' did not load correctly... DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: String was not recognized as a valid Boolean. ---> System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid Boolean. at System.Boolean.Parse(String value) at System.String.System.IConvertible.ToBoolean(IFormatProvider provider) at System.Convert.ToBoolean(Object value) at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.LoadData(Int32 PageId) at DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.OnLoad(EventArgs e) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Mar 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Note: In the control Panel, the version is "Active Forums 5.0.2.0" whereas in Extensions it is Active Forums 5.0.3
Mar 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Note: To fix the missing images, I found the Images folder under Default and copied it under the Red theme (it was not there at all) - is this correct?
Mar 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Ok, I fixed this like this (I think there was a rouge setting conversion somewhere):

Deleted all records in the Forums Setting table (not sure if this is neccessary - note: you WILL have to set up settings again if you go this route.
Configured my top level forum groups again and cascaded the settings down. This fixed it.

Note: I had to play around with missing images and move them into folders to get all my missing images to work.

Outstanding bug: I can't change my DNN Default HTML Editor style to my custom toolbar, so it shows all the editing options which is UGLY.
Mar 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM
ps - to ensure your Templates are up to date, make sure this returns no records:

SELECT *
FROM activeforums_Templates
WHERE Template LIKE '%Active.Modules%'
Mar 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM
No matter what I do. Create new forum group and move the groups to that new forum group. Change the settings of all forum group/ forum to default I still get this error. I already do not know a lot about such things and this is driving me crazy because I have done everything that has been suggested here.

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.LoadData(Int32 PageId) +293
DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +1921

[ModuleLoadException: Error: is currently unavailable.]
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(String FriendlyMessage, Control ctrl, Exception exc, Boolean DisplayErrorMessage) +404

[PageLoadException: Error: is currently unavailable.]
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessPageLoadException(Exception exc, String URL) +426
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessPageLoadException(Exception exc) +96
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(String FriendlyMessage, Control ctrl, Exception exc, Boolean DisplayErrorMessage) +542
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(Control ctrl, Exception exc, Boolean DisplayErrorMessage) +192
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(Control ctrl, Exception exc) +40
DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.SettingsBase.RenderMessage(String Title, String Message, String ErrorMsg, Exception ex) +120
DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.SettingsBase.RenderMessage(String Message, String ErrorMsg, Exception ex) +38
DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.Controls.TopicView.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +2184
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +146
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

[PageLoadException: Error: is currently unavailable.]
DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessPageLoadException(Exception exc, String URL) +426
DotNetNuke.Framework.PageBase.OnError(EventArgs e) +628
System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e) +86
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +8422
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +253
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +78
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +21
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +4
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +100
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75
Mar 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Any other recommendation to resolve this issue? These forums work fine with tapatalk but not on the actual website.

Thanks.
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM
Frozen,

I'll take a look at the code based on the previous stack trace you posted and see if I can figure out what's going on.

I'm in the middle of reworking the search page right now, but once that is complete, I'm going to post a new beta. Hopefully in the next day or two.

-JB
Sep 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
We get the following error when we want to view a post. But it is only when we have a language other than English (United States) . If I change to Swedish becomes the error and when I change back to English it works as it should.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Edited Oct 13, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I recently upgraded a website that was using Active Forums 4.1.4 to AF 5.0.3. All my existing forums appeared in the AF Control Panel but could not be edited. And users could not see them. This was partially fixed by editing the activeforums_Permissions table and changing "-10" values to "-1. But this didn't completely solve all the problems.

I looked through the various AF SQL tables and found a number of fields that had been added but not updated to appropriate values for pre-existing forums. I was suspicious of:
  • ActiveForums_Forums: PermissionsId, PrefixURL, SocialGroupId
  • ActiveForums_Groups: PermissionsId, PrefixURL
  • ActiveForums_Topics: URL, TopicData
But even updating these didn't allow a user to view a forum post.

In the end, I installed AF 5.0.4 BETA and the forums are working well now. I know the BETA release says it's not for production sites, but a working beta beats a non-functional official release for me.

Thanks to all who have worked so hard to breathe new life into Active Forums. It is truly appreciated!!!

Larry Daniele
Companion Software