Conversion Guide

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Hi all,

I've waited some time before starting out with the upgrade of my community sites (heavy AF and AS) to the new DNN 6.2 features. I figured it would be a good time to start with the AS migration. The first step is the Active Forums 5.01 migration. Unfortunately I'm already faced with a couple of showstopper issues.

Before I look into this further I'm curious to find out if this is known or if I have missed some steps in the upgrade process. Is there perhaps some kind of conversion guide / steps for upgrading AF from 4 to 5? At the moment the issues are a nogo for my production sites.

I do want to make some progress now, because I want to work with the DNN 6.2 functionality and adapt my own custom modules to it. If there really are bugs in the current version I'm willing to offer a hand in fixing them in the AF code. 

Hope someone can fill me in on this.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Developer
Oct 28, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Have you looked at this page in the Wiki?

http://activeforums.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Migrating%20from%20DNN%20Forums%205.0.3%20to%20Active%20Forums%205.0&referringTitle=Documentation

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:51 AM

Thanks, but I can't use this. I'm using Active Forums 4 right now. Is there something similar for migrating from AF4 to AF5?

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Edited Oct 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Jeoren, 
Active Forums 5 is an upgrade to Active Forums, so it will upgrade like other DNN module.  I'm working on a upgrade page for the Wiki but it's incomplete at the moment.  

The simple steps are like any other DNN module/extension:

1. Download the latest production version of the module
  2. Backup your site files and database
  3. Login as Host
  4. Navigate to the Host | Extensions Wizard
  5. Install the extension

If you get any errors you'll need to troublshoot them (save the error log).  

Finally, if you are also running Active Social on those site you'll need to understand that process separately. There is a video here about the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJaBp-hs2c4 and a conversion helper module here: activesocial.codeplex.com

Regards,
Steven Webster

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hi Steven,

Thanks. These actually were the steps I followed. It's running now, but with a couple a errors that make it unusable. I'm intending to run it from the source code and fix the bugs I encounter.

My site is running quite a big AF install, so I guess if it's running stable on my site it probably will on most other sites. Would be nice if I can contribute these fixes to the codeplex project. Then everybody benefits. Can you tell me how I can contribute these? 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Jeroen

Developer
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Sorry I missed that you were already on AF.

If you run into issues, I would suggest you create them as Issues here on Codeplex. You can also submit patches/fixes to the issues.

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Ok, I will investigate the issues and add them here. If I can I'll also submit the patches.