Migrating DNN core forum to Active Forum

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM
We have an old city portal site (www.belmopancityonline.com) which was built in DNN 4.9.1 which using DNNForum 4.5.3. It is in SERIOUS need of an upgrade.

We have built a brand new site using DNN 7 and are almost ready to launch except we cannot figure out what to do about the old forum (http://www.belmopancityonline.com/belmopan-belize-forum.aspx). It is basically used for classifieds not discussions (buy sell, find jobs etc) and is fairly active. We want something similar on our new site and if possible would like to bring over the existing posts to the new site. We understand we may not be able to do this. But it is important for us to continue having some kind of way for users to post items and comment on them.

Is there any way to migrate from the old DNN forum to Active forum? I heard that there is a Migration script available, but where can I find it? Does it work with DNN core forum 4.5.3?

Thank you very much for any suggestions you can offer…
Editor
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM
What version of DNN is the old site on?
Developer
Oct 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
The script is in https://activeforums.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#branches/AF5DNN7/sql/CoreForumsToActiveForums.sql

It works for 05.00.03, but hasn't been tested for 4.5.3 of the DNNForum module.

When I say "it works" it does most of the work, but there are some things that need to be done after, verify permissions, etc. That being said, the script doesn't take into account any user migrations. If you've started a brand new DNN7 site, you'll likely have a LOT of work ahead of you for the conversion to work properly.

Why wasn't the old site simply upgraded instead of a new site built?
Oct 22, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I can handle the user migration myself, the database structure of that part is not as complicated as that for the forum posts.

The reason we don't simply upgrade the old site is because: 1. We are doing a huge reconstruction of the site structure. 2. We want to keep the old one running while we work on the new one.