release time

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Hi
when you release the stable version of AF 5.0.4
Jul 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I am running it in development, the only issue I have left that I know that we could not figure out is the moderation error (see my other message).

It is distressing to not have a functional version of the only real forum module left in the DNN space that actually works. Not every website needs or wants a social network on it. I would much rather have paid for a license and had someone that actually cares about this project to fix issues and provide support.

Is there a way with this license for some third party to take over the project and charge for a better version/support?
Jul 6, 2013 at 9:56 PM
I think jbrunken and others have done an excellent job keeping this alive and functional. I REALLY appreciate his effort and hope he doesn't get too discouraged. Maybe this project isn't moving at the speed some want but the fact that a few have rolled up their sleeves and are keeping it alive is great. I wish I had more programming skills to help contribute to the effort.
Jul 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Yes I agree the volunteers are doing a good job, I just don't think the open source model works/is working for this project as there is a lot of value in this module that people will happily pay for.
Jul 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I agree. The open source model can be tricky. For some great projects, dnn included, it works really good and they remain really active with tight release cycles.
Unfortunately since Active Social was sold, the release cycles stagnated, since only one person is doing the coding and he does not have a lot of time.
What needs to happen is more developers getting involved with the project.
But once the project became open, I doubt that it would ever become a commercial fork
Jul 28, 2013 at 2:55 AM
So what is the status of this module?
Jul 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Officially, it's dead. Unofficially, it will be revived on need/time basis.
Editor
Jul 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Officially frozen hasn't a clue or can officially answer anything.

The module works with basic functionality. It needs improvements but doesn't have enough developer support.

It's not dead. There just aren't enough hands on it right now.

I'm using it on several forums with plans on converting over more over time. It works fine for what I need. It's not perfect but it has potential.
Jul 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2013 at 5:46 AM
supermansrf wrote:
Officially frozen hasn't a clue or can officially answer anything. The module works with basic functionality. It needs improvements but doesn't have enough developer support. It's not dead. There just aren't enough hands on it right now. I'm using it on several forums with plans on converting over more over time. It works fine for what I need. It's not perfect but it has potential.
Sure. whatever you say, Supermansrf.

And besides you just said what I said,but in bunch of more words plus some criticism for me.

Officially only DNN can comment on this one. And, honestly I believe they have killed this module, unless something happened in last week's meeting. See: http://www.dnnsoftware.com/answers/cid/303167/page/2

Unofficially, even if DNN has killed this module, people (developers) who need it and have time will revive (work on) it.

p.s. I am using it on all my forums. It still does not change the status of this module but like I said above....developers who are personally using it will keep reviving it. We are all at their mercy and pray that they keep using AF.