New Community Exchange v Active Forum

May 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM
The new community exchange looks good. I wonder whether that is the reason DNN stopped working on Active Forums.

Does anyone know whether the community exchange module (QandA?) available to community or is it part of DNN Social?

Thanks.
May 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Yup.

Nebula is not available to community users. It is part of DNN Social.
http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Community-Exchange/view/question/cid/153695.aspx
May 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM
The original Q & A module is available though http://dnnqanda.codeplex.com/
May 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM
I think it's useless to start using the old Q&A module because DNN is not going to support it anymore. Another one bites the dust.
May 27, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Mutter mutter mutter. Well, I've got the source code, so maybe it can still be developed. I'm certainly not paying that many $$$'s for DNN Social just to run a not for profit community site.
May 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
WiredKiwi wrote:
Mutter mutter mutter. Well, I've got the source code, so maybe it can still be developed. I'm certainly not paying that many $
s for DNN Social just to run a not for profit community site.
Can you code?
May 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I am trying to integrate Q&A with Social Groups, so that it can display only the questions that are associated with the group when groupid is available in the url, and to display all the questions when the groupid is not present in the querystring.

I feel Q&A is a very good module, and has scope to be improved to a lot extent. I think most of the DNN social is built around it.
Jun 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM
babureddy wrote:
I am trying to integrate Q&A with Social Groups, so that it can display only the questions that are associated with the group when groupid is available in the url, and to display all the questions when the groupid is not present in the querystring.

I feel Q&A is a very good module, and has scope to be improved to a lot extent. I think most of the DNN social is built around it.
I honestly do not think that DNN will support the old Q&A module anymore. It will depend on the community to improve it.
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM
FrozenDNN wrote:
Just FYI:

http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Community-Exchange/view/question/cid/154169.aspx
Thanks, the day I saw the Social DNN, I knew that Q&A module will not move forward, unless some members will take the ownership of its development. I am just trying to add what is required for my site.
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Summary: DotNetNuke chose to ditch Q&A and add features into a DNNSocial specific Fork.
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Dotnetnuke is becoming an "evil empire" imho.
Jun 5, 2013 at 10:58 PM
FrozenDNN wrote:
Dotnetnuke is becoming an "evil empire" imho.
The "social" turn of DNN will be his dissaster.

imho
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:30 AM
I have went years without a good forum for ASP.net and DNN inparticular, I am about to go back to PHP and MySQL developing because I would think a forum open source as good as this one is maybe a php forum is more the solution since they know how to build an open source community. I thought DNNNUke was the answer to PHPNuke and put my chips on .NET... years ago, I hope this egg don't turn rotten it seemed like things where just starting to roll.

If there is $10K per year in a social app I am in the wrong business anyhow, I need to start that software company with that indian soft dev company that I talked with in the past.
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM
FrozenDNN wrote:
WiredKiwi wrote:
Mutter mutter mutter. Well, I've got the source code, so maybe it can still be developed. I'm certainly not paying that many $
s for DNN Social just to run a not for profit community site.
Can you code?
Yeah coding isn't too much of a drama for me, I just fear that something like this will be way down the priority list and/or that I will get into a situation where I'm responsible for the module & anyone using it (which would be ok if I had the time for it). I'm actually trying to get rid of things to do, not add them. But, having said that, if you have ideas for what needs doing, post them to the Q&A Codeplex page https://dnnqanda.codeplex.com/ and if I do wind up doing any work on it, I'll look at your suggestions first. I'm going to use it on a site of mine, so if the feature I'm using it for takes off I will actually need to keep the Q&A module running and that means coding.
Jul 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I think what DNN is doing now with DNN Social will pretty much end up being the same as what happened to Telligent when they turned "commercial". They lost their otherwise large community of supporters and developers.
Personally I'm very fine with the fact that DNN wants to make money. DNN Social looks great, but charging $12000 per year for it, that's too much, unless your a large commercial cooperation. I'm not, I'm just trying to run my community website with a little Google ads as my primary income.