AF 5.0.4 beta 4 feedback needed.

Coordinator
Apr 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I know several people have upgraded to the latest AF beta.

Please post any issues here that you are experiencing, particularly those that are new with 5.0.4.

If it's running well for you, please let me know.

I'd like to move it from from beta to stable soon if possible.

Thanks

-JB
May 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Azure Environment

DNN 7.0.6

AF Beta 5.0.4

Failed to Install:

SQL Execution resulted in following Exceptions: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Built-in function 'FullTextServiceProperty' is not supported in this version of SQL Server. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action1 wrapCloseInAction) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async, Int32 timeout) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe, Int32 timeout, Boolean asyncWrite) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider.ExecuteScriptInternal(String connectionString, String script) ClientConnectionId:65771cdc-cd1b-4c89-ac4d-0cc2db205a6e / Object: StoredProcedure dbo.[activeforums_Search_GetFullTextStatus] Script Date: 03/12/2013 23:11:51 / CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.[activeforums_Search_GetFullTextStatus] AS BEGIN -- Test if it's installed on the server IF FullTextServiceProperty('IsFullTextInstalled') < 1 BEGIN SELECT 0 as Status RETURN END -- Test if it's enabled in the database DECLARE @dbName nvarchar(1000) SET @dbName = DB_NAME() IF DATABASEPROPERTY(@dbName, 'IsFulltextEnabled') = 0 BEGIN SELECT -1 as Status RETURN END -- Test to see if the full text index has been created IF OBJECTPROPERTY(object_id('dbo.activeforums_Content'),'TableHasActiveFulltextIndex') = 0 BEGIN SELECT -2 as Status RETURN END -- Make sure the full text proc has been installed IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.objects where object_id = object_id(N'dbo.activeforums_Search_FullText') and OBJECTPROPERTY(object_id, N'IsProcedure') = 1) BEGIN SELECT -3 as Status RETURN END -- Full Text appears to be enabled SELECT 1 as Status RETURN END
Info End Sql execution: 05.00.04.SqlDataProvider file
Info Finished Sql execution
Failure Installation Failed - Script
Info Rolling back component install - Module
Failure ExceptionSystem.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at DotNetNuke.Services.Installer.Installers.ModuleInstaller.DeleteModule()
Info Component rolled back successfully - Module
Info Rolling back component install - Assembly
Info Assembly unregistered - bin\DotNetNuke.Modules.ActiveForums.dll
Info Component rolled back successfully - Assembly
Info Rolling back component install - File
May 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Installed well on a new installation of dnn 7.0.6.

When I move a thread from one forum to another the topics/replies from the forumview doesn't change.
May 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM
After deleting a thread in another forum everything updates to show the correct topics/replies and last post.
May 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Hi I've installed the latest AF 5.0.4 beta 4 without a problem (clean instal)
I was really keen to check out the new jquery ui stuff, but haven't found an obvious way to change the skin of the forums
there's only the default template available.

I thought from the module release log that this line:
"Default theme now includes jQuery UI"

means that i could select (in a userfriendly non-developer way) one of the jquery themes for my site.
Coordinator
May 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM
@IbrahimYM I will look into fixing the install script so that it doesn't fail on Azure. Unfortunately, there are a number of things that Azure doesn't support including Full Text search. Longer term, we're going to have to find a different search solution for AF.

@gdemotchkine You can create your own theme with your own custom jQuery theme. You don't have to be a developer to do this, but you do have to manually create your own theme directory/files. However, I wouldn't recommend do so, at least not yet as I suspect that there will be some fairly major changes to the theme files and templates in upcoming updates.
May 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Edited May 12, 2013 at 1:53 AM
jbrunken wrote:
@gdemotchkine You can create your own theme with your own custom jQuery theme. You don't have to be a developer to do this, but you do have to manually create your own theme directory/files. However, I wouldn't recommend do so, at least not yet as I suspect that there will be some fairly major changes to the theme files and templates in upcoming updates.
Hi thanks for your reply, I still want to give this is a shot, just to try out jquery theming for the first time.
I'm a bit a confused, can you explain how to merge what I get from Jquery builder and your CSS ?

If I understand correctly, the goal is to
update the jquery-ui.css and the jquery-ui.min.css in \DesktopModules\ActiveForums\themes_default
i've created a theme:
/*! jQuery UI - v1.9.2 - 2013-05-11
* http://jqueryui.com
* Includes: 
* To view and modify this theme, visit http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/?ffDefault=Verdana%2CArial%2Csans-serif&fwDefault=normal&fsDefault=1.1em&cornerRadius=4px&bgColorHeader=%23e26a6a&bgTextureHeader=diamond&bgImgOpacityHeader=75&borderColorHeader=%23aaaaaa&fcHeader=%23a81a1a&iconColorHeader=%23222222&bgColorContent=%23fdd3fd&bgTextureContent=flat&bgImgOpacityContent=75&borderColorContent=%23f5eaec&fcContent=%23222222&iconColorContent=%23fbbbf3&bgColorDefault=%23cb50ce&bgTextureDefault=glass&bgImgOpacityDefault=75&borderColorDefault=%23d3d3d3&fcDefault=%23555555&iconColorDefault=%23fff5fa&bgColorHover=%23e08f8f&bgTextureHover=glass&bgImgOpacityHover=75&borderColorHover=%23999999&fcHover=%23212121&iconColorHover=%23454545&bgColorActive=%23ffffff&bgTextureActive=glass&bgImgOpacityActive=65&borderColorActive=%23aaaaaa&fcActive=%23212121&iconColorActive=%23454545&bgColorHighlight=%23de829a&bgTextureHighlight=glass&bgImgOpacityHighlight=55&borderColorHighlight=%23fcefa1&fcHighlight=%23363636&iconColorHighlight=%23ff2ed8&bgColorError=%23fef1ec&bgTextureError=glass&bgImgOpacityError=95&borderColorError=%23cd0a0a&fcError=%23cd0a0a&iconColorError=%23cd0a0a&bgColorOverlay=%23aaaaaa&bgTextureOverlay=flat&bgImgOpacityOverlay=0&opacityOverlay=30&bgColorShadow=%23aaaaaa&bgTextureShadow=flat&bgImgOpacityShadow=0&opacityShadow=30&thicknessShadow=8px&offsetTopShadow=-8px&offsetLeftShadow=-8px&cornerRadiusShadow=8px
* Copyright 2013 jQuery Foundation and other contributors Licensed MIT */
I've downloaded both files using ".activeForums" for CSS Scope like you do in the default them :, replaced the old files in the default theme folder
example:
/* Component containers
----------------------------------*/
.activeForums .ui-widget { font-family: Verdana,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 1.1em; }
.activeForums .ui-widget .ui-widget { font-size: 1em; }
.activeForums .ui-widget input, .activeForums .ui-widget select, .activeForums .ui-widget textarea, .activeForums .ui-widget button { font-family: Verdana,Arial,sans-serif; font-size: 1em; }
.activeForums .ui-widget-content { border: 1px solid #f5eaec; background: #fdd3fd url(images/ui-bg_flat_75_fdd3fd_40x100.png) 50% 50% repeat-x; color: #222222; }
.activeForums .ui-widget-content a { color: #222222; }
.activeForums .ui-widget-header { border: 1px solid #aaaaaa; background: #e26a6a url(images/ui-bg_diamond_75_e26a6a_10x8.png) 50% 50% repeat; color: #a81a1a; font-weight: bold; }
.activeForums .ui-widget-header a { color: #a81a1a; }
but it's not changing`, it's still the default greyish container - black bar skin (the same one as the previous release)

Skinning is really important for me since, I plan to deploy the forums on a multi-portal installation, so each forums needs a unique look and feel. Many thanks for your help!
May 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM
In the Author panel the author display Name is not linked.
May 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Edited May 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM
It's pretty good. I've got it running in production (because I had to) on a forum of just over 500 users, and generally happy on DNN 7.0.4

Couple of things, one being an issue, the second being a usability niggle:
1. Users under moderation can't post, a fairly generic error is thrown (I suspect it originates when trying to send a moderation email notification). I've got some users on short term moderation, so would be great to have that fixed if possible. I have noticed it was raised as an issue on the AF site though, so it might be a legacy issue?
AbsoluteURLReferrer: http://www.equichat.co.nz/equichat_forum/aft/2342
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31
DefaultDataProvider: DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke
ExceptionGUID: 15374057-9140-4f90-828a-aceb61efc37d
InnerException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>).
FileName:
FileLineNumber: 0
FileColumnNumber: 0
Method: System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add
StackTrace:
Message: DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.PageLoadException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). ---> System.Web.HttpException: The Controls collection cannot be modified because the control contains code blocks (i.e. <% ... %>). at System.Web.UI.ControlCollection.Add(Control child) at DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.Exceptions.ProcessModuleLoadException(String FriendlyMessage, Control ctrl, Exception exc, Boolean DisplayErrorMessage) --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

2. We've lost the 'jump to first unread' arrows on the Unread and Active Topics views - many howls of rage about that from the users :-}
May 27, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Bump....

So any further thoughts on the moderation service still being broken? Or the jump to first unread/doesn't return to last post after reply problem?

I've also come across something else - there's no notification any more - how do users manage their subscriptions?

Let me know if any of these are new and need to be logged as issues.
May 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I am getting lots of time out errors while using What's new module. Also, quoting replies seems to be broken only to the author's name. It shows the code.
Other than that everything is fine.

@Jason - I hate to ask but wondering if a new AF with new feature is in pipeline.
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I don't personally have anything in the works right now. This time of year I don't have as much time to dedicate to a project like this. That doesn't mean that I won't be working on it again in the not too distant future. It just means that I'm busy with other stuff right now.
Jun 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM
jbrunken wrote:
I don't personally have anything in the works right now. This time of year I don't have as much time to dedicate to a project like this. That doesn't mean that I won't be working on it again in the not too distant future. It just means that I'm busy with other stuff right now.
@jbrunken - What does this response mean ? Are you talking to all of the lovely folks here giving feedback or are you (probably) talking to the last one (FrozenDNN)

In any case, your response reveals that AF projet is a bit AWOL. April 26th you ask people for feedback, "I'd like to move it from from beta to stable soon if possible."
a month later you say "don't have as much time to dedicate to a project like this". what does it mean "project like this"?

(@Everyone - AF Forums is one of the best Dnn forum projects and integrates with journal and social groups, so definitely worth saving, despite that it's slowly dying)

I mean no offense, but what I do not understand :
a) Give us a clear timeline for future bug fixes and stable release planned date, or just tell us to not waste our time testing the beta. Please understand that if we test, it means we hope to put it into production use...

b) If you are coordinator, could you please try to find some more people to code stuff, as this project is really worth saving and improving and I sure hope that there are willing developers out there.

c) In the beta release you say that "Default theme now includes jQuery UI" - I do not see any changes in the default theme and I tried rolling out my own and it does not change the theme ou ui. Could you help (see my previous comment in the same discussion)?

Thanks!
Coordinator
Jun 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM
What does this response mean ? Are you talking to all of the lovely folks here giving feedback or are you (probably) talking to the last one (FrozenDNN)
I was replying to Frozen
In any case, your response reveals that AF projet is a bit AWOL. April 26th you ask people for feedback, "I'd like to move it from from beta to stable soon if possible."
a month later you say "don't have as much time to dedicate to a project like this". what does it mean "project like this"?
"Project like this" means a project that I didn't create, don't own, don't get paid anything to work on and is not always the highest priority in my life. I devoted a massive amount of time to this project during the late winter / early spring. I can't always dedicate that much time. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

I did ask for beta feedback and I did plan/want to get the release out the door. Unfortunately, a significant bug was discovered related to azure that I didn't have time to fix and nobody else has stepped forward to try and resolve it themselves.

Regarding "item a". I can not give you a timeline. I am a volunteer. As I said before, I do not get paid to work on this project. I work on it when/if I have the time to do so and right now I don't have the time to do so.

Regarding "item b". I am a coordinator, but that doesn't mean anything other than I can submit releases. It's not my responsibility to go out and try and "find more people to code stuff". This is a volunteer open source project. It's up to people to step up and contribute (as I did) or not. Anyone, yourself included, can download the complete source code at any time and start contributing enhancements/fixes.

Regarding "item c". I will try and address this for you later, but I don't have time to answer it right now.
Jun 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM
@gdemotchkine

Why are you pissing off the only person who is working on this project for free?! jbrunken is a customer like you(?) and me who has some coding knowledge. So be glad that he is sharing his work with us. Without him and Chris Hammond we wouldn't have AF that was working on DNN 7 especially since ActiveModules and DNN have abandoned this project.
Editor
Jun 4, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Frozen, I'm glad you said it before I did. I saw his response to JB around 5 this morning when I woke up (grumpy I might add) and almost fired off a response far worse than that.

Amazing how many people will bash others online with NO knowledge of any history whatsoever.

As Frozen said, without JB nothing would be happening right now. You would be stuck on DNN 6.2 (maybe) and a forum that barely works. He could have just as easily took his efforts and kept to himself.

We are attempting to gain support from other developers, thus the new facebook page and www.activeforums.org website Joseph Allen and I created. However the line to sign up isn't very long. Trust me.

JB asked for feedback and got hardly any. The further into the rabbit hole he gets the more snares he finds. There are many things that could be done, however like the rest of us he has a job, family and life that doesn't primarily concern the development of Active Forums.

So I'll add if you aren't part of the solution then you know where you belong. Demanding anything will get you nowhere. Realize the project isn't dead, it has some great features and is worlds better than your other options on DNN. We're sorry if anyone was a former customer of Will's and is now sitting around waiting on something else to be done, but honestly business decisions aren't always made with the end user in mind. Personally the path that Will took himself down was probably the best decision he ever could have made. What inventor doesn't dream of developing something, having people love it and buy it, and a large company buy your knowledge from you? Anyone would be crazy not to have accepted to further his career. So your choice left now is you either roll with the punches or go somewhere else. Plain and simple.

How many had that really cool Motorola V60 silver metal flip phone that was the top of the line when it came out? Anyone still have it working? Probably not. The next model came out, was better in most respects but it was different technology (GSM) and dropped calls ALL of the time at first. It had some great features, a color display and was the beginning of the era that now includes technology far beyond what any of us could have dreamed back then. But it wasn't overnight.

That was Motorola and other huge companies with thousands of engineers. You are talking to 1 VOLUNTEER who kindly shares his work with you. If you don't think its fast enough then go do it yourself. If it doesn't do the things you want, then go do it yourself. If the roadmap doesn't suite your sites or tastes then go do it yourself.

See anything in common here? Comments like the ones you were inferring only make people NOT want to provide anything to you, for free, to better your website or business or whatever. Kindness around here goes a whole lot further than negativity.