API for other modules to post new topic discussions.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I would like to request the ability for other modules to be able to communicate with a forum, for example I suggested this ability in the Events Module.

A user posts an event, once that event has been posted it also creates a topic in a dedicated forum that allows the event to be discussed with access to the discussion from both from the module and from the forum helping get more exposure to the events, news feed or whatever module works with the forum.

Then there would be no need to post an event and post a new discussion. the discussion gets started with the post of an event and people can begin to reply/comment on the thread.
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Engage did this with older versions of ActiveForums and their Engage Publish module, many years ago. I imagine it would still be possible today
Apr 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM
See my open source tapatalk module for an example of how to post from a third party module.
Apr 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
OK cool I will forward the info to the other mod developers. I think it would really help build more chatter on the websites forums if these discussions popped up there from an event posted for an example.
Apr 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
So.....u want to use the forum as a journal?
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM
No the journal is another piece that gets discussions as well but as things are flying it gets shot down to the bottom pretty fast where the Forum actually is a topic discussion that gets put into a category where people can discuss it who like to use forums. I think the forum is a better discussion tool.

If you had this thread here as a comment in the journal in codeplex.... it would be lost by now.
Apr 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Or lets say on DNN who is talking on the journal about topics like events, and who is talking on the forums? I think the forums are easier to navigate and find what you would like to discuss. Journal is just a way to see latest activity, comment on it in a quick fashion for a day or two. Where if you have an annual event... how would you discuss this in a journal all year long?
Apr 15, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Got it. I see your point.