Beta 5.0.4 Coming Very Soon

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:39 AM
I have a new beta almost ready to go, I just need to package it up and upload it here to Codeplex. I'm out of time this evening, but I should be able to get it posted sometime tomorrow.

The changes in this beta are mostly focused around an improved search experience.

You can see it in action on my forums here:

http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/Forums/tabid/78/afv/searchadvanced/Default.aspx

-JB
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM
May I suggest some new features / correction for next release?
  • Time in 24h format or am/pm notice for not ENG Language.
  • From Not Read, Active Topics, My Topics views the "Jump to first unread post" not work.
  • Auto resize uploaded images with max width and height in control panel
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM
The configurable date and time format is already half implemented. It's already in the settings (not the UI), but nothing in the site uses it yet.

Jump to first unread post does not seem to be working very well anywhere right now. One of the things I'd like to get my head around is where and how AF uses the various parameters that are passed to it on the query string. This sounds like a very simple thing, but unfortunately it's not.

Auto-resize of attached photos is a great idea that I would not mind seeing, however I don't think the attachments system is something that I want to tackle just yet. There is a lot of other things that I would rather address first.

I have a very limited amount of time to work on this stuff and I'm only one person. We really need a couple more developers actively contributing to the project.
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I would like to see a new modern and well designed "skin" for the forums.

We could maybe sponsored it somehow.
Mar 15, 2013 at 2:29 AM
I don't disagree at all. I would really like to take a good hard look at the markup and css that's generated by the current code and see how it could be cleaned up and modernized. I think the browser landscape is a lot different now then it was when AF was originally written. A lot of the current markup could probably be simplified so that it's easier to apply a theme and customize in other ways. Most mobile devices can handle advanced CSS 3 layouts. Personally, I'd rather see it work great on modern browsers and I'm ok if it doesn't display perfectly on an older browser.

I also think this is an area where non-developers can contribute to the process a lot. We should start a separate discussion about this topic.
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM
CSS and template is important. today, with mobile device a good template and CSS may do the difference.
I suggest at last a multi template & CSS so that I can put in one pagne the forum with one layout and in another page (mobile site page) e second version with small tempate anch light css
Mar 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM
There is this guy, Armada? He does beautiful skins. I am sure he is not going to do it for free but maybe we can ask him to do it for us and pay for his work provided that the work is open source and available to everyone.

Anyone willing to contribute?
Mar 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM
What we need is, at least in my opinion, much simpler than a full DNN skin. The HTML generated in the forums is really should not be that complex at all.

I'm pretty good at CSS, but I'm not a designer at all. We just need someone who can to a bit of HTML/CSS modernization and maybe refresh the various graphics (folder images, read/unread images, etc).
Mar 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I've got the graphics. That’s no problem. In fact I'll work on that this weekend.
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Awesome!