Mail Connector

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Hi,
I feel like I'm back on my hobby horse, but is there anyone willing to look at providing a "Mail connector" for Active Forums?

I'm told that one reason the Mail Connector didn't make it into the new forums module was it contained a commercial element. Does anyone know who/what was the element that was used.
Is it still available, is it possible to pay for this section and then work at providing the mail connector in the new forum?
Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:32 AM
I too am VERY interested in it. In fact, I have my developer working on a migration path from DNN forum 5.0.3 to AF. One of the things that I will be asking of him is to create one. I would gladly have him assist in this and foot the bill to get it developed. I'll share if I don't have to pay him to start from scratch.

Wonder how Codeplex does it? I've asked this before but didn't get any answers from anyone. It apparently has something that works very well. Mail connector for the forum as well as private messages would be freaking sweet.
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM
supermansrf wrote:
I too am VERY interested in it. In fact, I have my developer working on a migration path from DNN forum 5.0.3 to AF.
Which Path do you need assistance with? The Migration script works from my test, though there are a few things to do afterwards
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Hi,
I'm not so much interested in the migration path at this stage. I am interested in being able to post via email to the forum.
(ie send an email to forum and create a post on the forum, which is then received by members who are then able to reply to the post which then up on the forum as a reply.)
This was what the"Mail Connector" offered in Active Forums.
Thanks
Paul
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:42 AM
The issue where I don't have time to bathe any more :-) I really am joking; sorta

We just made a huge transition on a rather large and active forum site from 5.6.7 to 6.1.5 this past weekend. Stuck there for a while until I can get our custom member directory module and forum upgraded. I can't risk losing anything and feel more comfortable with him assisting with it. Not to mention my head spins when I start this type of thing. So I've got him working on looking through the notes here on codeplex. I have full faith in what you guys have accomplished, not so much in myself. Thanks for looking out for me.
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:43 AM
I guess I should have said that it isn't so much the forum migration as much as the rest of the site. There is a whole lot more to the story.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Hi,
I'm not so much interested in the migration path at this stage. I am interested in being able to post via email to the forum.
(ie send an email to forum and create a post on the forum, which is then received by members who are then able to reply to the post which then up on the forum as a reply.)
This was what the"Mail Connector" offered in Active Forums.
Thanks
Paul

Will has answered this before and has always been rather vague about it. I'm assuming we shouldn't hold our breath. The ONLY thing I could decipher from his lack of comments was that they either have something in the works (I read somewhere that possibly a DNN Professional only feature), or it was just like he said and he had some deal with another business party for parts of the connector; possibly for a small piece of his sales?. With him not being Active Modules any more and a DNN employee that is probably null and void. There is always the "business" aspect of things too. Just my over-analytical thought process of what I've read.
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:49 AM
I get anywhere from 200+ emails a day from people replying to PM or forum notification. I would LOVE for that to not happen any more but you can't fix stupid. Clearly states in subject line and body "DO NOT REPLY" yes; this really does mean you
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Honestly, until we get more developers actively contributing to this project, I don't see how we could get the mail connector added back in. IMO, there is a lot of lower hanging fruit that needs to be addressed first.

Personally, I never used the mail connector, so I'm not even sure how it used to work.
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Hi, I guess it depends on your usage. One of the major reasons I got into DNN was the mail connector feature of Active Forums. I discovered that Active forums had this facility and this ran on DNN. So I paid my money and bought the Active Forums - enterprise edition. I’m still willing to spend to enable this facility. I agree with needing more programmers on this project and I would love to help but it’s not my skill. Both Joomla and Drupal both have modules/extensions that support this feature so in my ignorance I’m not sure how difficult it is to provide this in DNN. Codeplex has this facility. Thanks Paul From: jbrunken [email removed] Sent: Wednesday, 6 March 2013 1:17 AM To: pcameron@bigpond.net.au Subject: Re: Mail Connector [activeforums:435384] From: jbrunken Honestly, until we get more developers actively contributing to this project, I don't see how we could get the mail connector added back in. IMO, there is a lot of lower hanging fruit that needs to be addressed first. Personally, I never used the mail connector, so I'm not even sure how it used to work.
Mar 6, 2013 at 2:35 AM
I don't think there would be anything particularly difficult about implementing the mail connector functionality. The problem is that it touches a lot of pieces of the AF code so it would end up being quite a bit of work. There is even an open source mail component for .NET that is available here on Codeplex that might be able to replace the commercial component that the AF 4 mail connector used.

So far, I haven't run into any old mail connector code while I've been working on AF. It may still be there, but it may also be completely gone. I don't know since I haven't really tried to find it. If the bulk of the code is still in the project (or if Will can dig up/provide some of it) it MAY not be that difficult of a task to get one implemented. It's not something that's on my personal list right now, but another developer could certainly take it on.

I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better off as a stand alone module, much like the Tapatalk module that I created for AF. It might be easier to add a few tweaks to AF to support an external module than to try and fit all of it back into AF.