Jump to first new post issues.

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I've been looking at addressing the issue where the forum always takes the user to the first post in a thread when linking from the Journal or after posting a new message.

This is proving to be a difficult issue to detangle, but I think I've almost got it figured out.

However, I want to get input from everyone before I actually submit any changes to the source.

So..  What is everyone's opinion on what should happen in the following scenarios.

1) User clicks on a journal entry that takes them to a specific post.

2) User replies to a post.

3) User clicks to view a thread that has no new replies

Developer
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I know my users will pretty much always want to go to their last unread post in a thread

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

In a couple of big forums in my country, i see the link from main page like this

/forum/threads/25875654-SAGEM-F-ST-2404-Firmware?goto=newpost

Always the "goto=newpost" ή "?view=getnewpost"

Editor
Jan 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM
I almost feel like we didn't quite understand your question. I may be wrong.

I think it depends on function of the forum and users. If your site/forum is informative and going to be SEO it doesn't matter. However the day to day users would not really care about older posts unless they are referencing things or looking something up.

However for users that visit the site less frequently, they would probably like the ability to start at oldest and work their way up.

That is one of the things I like about the DNN forums. The user can choose. Oldest to newest or vice versa.

Any way of making it a user selected option with newest to oldest the default option?
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2013 at 3:35 AM

I had a hard time phrasing my questions right so I'm not surprised that it wasn't clear.

I guess a better question would be given how it works now, how (if it all) would you like to see it changed.

There are 2 big complains that I get from the users on my forum.

1) When they click on a forum link in the journal, it always takes them to the top of the very first page in a topic.   That is fine when there is only a few posts in a thread, but when there's several pages of posts (which the user may have already read), it's less than ideal.

2) When a user posts a new message, they are taken back to the first page of the topic.   Personally, I find this one the most frustrating, especially when you're participating in a thread that's being posted to rapidly.

At this point, I'm just trying to see if there is a quick fix I can do to make it better for everyone.  I fully understand that what's "better" for me, might not be better for everyone else, so I want to make sure I'm moving in the right direction.

As for what is possible long term, probably a lot, but I'm still struggling to get my head around the code base.   I'm starting to make some progress, but there are still many things that are a mystery to me.

The other big problem that I have is that I'm really not a SQL person and definitely not the person to be writing DNN SQL upgrade scripts.   Some changes will likely require SQL changes in which case I'm going to need some help from someone.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I think that if a user set in the personal forum settings "jump to first unread post..." ALWAYS the forum must jump to the forst unread post.

Remember that this jump not work from Active Topics, Not Read, My Topics... too

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I think if I am clicking on a journal entry it should take me to that specific reply/post.

If I am on the forum page though, clicking on the topic title must take me to the first unread topic/reply. 

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Regarding clicking from the journal entries, I thought about that too, but I'm not convinced that's right.  Case in point:  Someone clicks on the latest reply entry in the journal, but there have been 20 posts made before it that the user has not read yet.  In this case, the user would skip 20 posts that they hadn't read yet.   Just taking them to the first unread post seems like the least problematic solution.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I guess in your case, if the user is new to the topic then jump to first unread should surpass the journal's redirection to that specific reply.

reply. On the other hand, If I am old to the topic I dont want to be redirected to the first topic and then I have to scroll down to the new entry. So I think Jump to the first unread post in important.