Can I help?

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I'm not (yet) familiar with the AF source code, but I'm willing to try and work on some of the outstanding issues if one of the existing developers would help me get up to speed.

I'm familiar with working with CodePlex/TFS but I haven't really worked on a multi-developer open source project like this yet, so I've been a bit hesitant to get involved.

Honestly, I don't know how much I'll be able to do, but I'll give it a shot.   Maybe I could get the "What's New" module working again or something.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I would love some help from people that are actually willing to code.  I think everyone needs to realize that this is an open source project now and not part of the main DNN Corp development objectives.   No one at DNN Corp wants to see this product die, but we do have to focus our resources on our main product lines.  

The best way to get started is to download the source and dive right in.  If there is a bug you want fixed...fix it.  It's easier to accept code fixes from someone that has already released a DNN module on codeplex.  If you have questions about getting a dev environment setup please don't hesitate to ask.  I will be more than happy to help get someone setup that wants to contribute actual code fixes to this project.  

Thanks,

Will

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Will,

I will download the source and take a look.   I'm concerned though about not being connected through TFS.   I don't want to have to re-download the source code and manually merge my work every time someone checks in source to the project.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I didn't realize that is how this works.

I will get my board to approve things to allow my developer to help too. Since I can't code, I will get funds available to pay my developer to help.

Will would you release the email connector if I did this to be professionally finished and improved upon?
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Will,

Is it possible for me to get access so I can connect via TFS?

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Will -

I am also willing to help out.  Just let me know how to connect and I'll get started.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM

@jbrunken and @jmathis I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to know that you guys are interested in helping out.   I've added both of you as developers to the project.  I'll be sending you both a quick screencast that will help you get started.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Perfect!  Thanks Will!

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Thanks Will

I'll dive in this weekend

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I'm happy for this event. Thank's to jbrunken and jmathis for all you'll be able to give at this project

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Jmathis has jumped in with both feet.   I'm still trying to wrap my head around the source right now so I'm a bit overwhelmed but hopefully I'll make some contributions soon as well.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thank you so much for spending time on this, guys!

I rely heavily on AF and has been frustrated for years about the lack of progress (and the lack of alternatives to DNN/AF). I prefer to stay on DNN and AF, so your work is much appreciated!

Thank you!

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I glad to help.

I would encourage everyone to get involved if possible.   There are a lot of ways to contribute even if you're not a developer.   For example, some simple tutorials and documentation would go a long way towards helping new users get AF setup and configured.