I see DNN 7.0.1 is out. AF forum compatibility when?

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM

It seems that we've gone into radio silence again... :(

Can we get any kind of an update?    I built my site around this module as an Active Modules customer.   It's very important to me and frustrating to see it put on the back burner.

At this point, I just want to be able to upgrade to the latest version of DNN.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Agreed.  I think Will fell into a black hole :)

I would volunteer to fix the issues myself but I don't know where to start and I certainly don't want to duplicate work if Will is already working on it. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I think DNN 7 compatibility is not an urgent issue. Most of us will not move to DNN 7 until all our modules are compatible with 7.

Some developpers are still in pre-DNN 6 era. They do not even support the new social features (like the Journal for example).

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM
jmathis wrote:

Agreed.  I think Will fell into a black hole :)

You mean DNN Corp. Management?

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Sorry guys.  I haven't been getting any notifications from Codeplex for a couple of weeks.  I had setup subscriptions to keep an eye on these forums, but codeplex seemed to have some problems which are now resolved.

I am in the process of moving the minimum supported version of AF to 7.0.x.  This involves moving all the services from the MVC style introduced in 6.2 over to the Web API style in 7.0.  I should have this wrapped up this weekend.  

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Thank you Will.   The natives are pacified for now. ;)

Jan 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
ActiveModules wrote:

Sorry guys.  I haven't been getting any notifications from Codeplex for a couple of weeks.  I had setup subscriptions to keep an eye on these forums, but codeplex seemed to have some problems which are now resolved.

I am in the process of moving the minimum supported version of AF to 7.0.x.  This involves moving all the services from the MVC style introduced in 6.2 over to the Web API style in 7.0.  I should have this wrapped up this weekend.  

Really?

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM
jbrunken wrote:

Are they ?

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:06 PM
zaratustra wrote:
jbrunken wrote:

Are they ?

In ActiveModules we trust!

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Will?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM
jbrunken wrote:

Will?

Will Not.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

when will be the active forums for dnn 7 released? 

thanks very much.

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM

It appears that the "natives" will grow very old waiting ....

Maybe their children's childen will have some luck ....

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I've been holding my thoughts until now…

I'm new to DNN. I literally started in May 2012. I was thrown into the lions den. I learned quickly. I have a site with a rather large forum. About 50k page hits/day. Stuck on DNN 5.6.8 and DNN Forums 5.0.2.

I have to say that this situation sucks. I have people screaming for mobile device support. I can't.

I accidentally upgraded to 5.0.2 and lost some key functionality that I'm having to have custom built back into the site. Sucks and is expensive.

DNN itself is great. Great for webmasters. Great for customers. The forum issue sucks.

I have actually just presented to the board of above said website to have a new forum built from scratch. I have the India crew already waiting. They have submitted a proposal that wasn't as far off as I was expecting. All because the forum options suck for DNN.

Its not that I don't think it will ever get there, but I will say that I've followed this for less than a year now. And while the end goal sounds good, I'm definitely not putting my trust in what I've seen. Just to find out that AF didn't beat DNN 8 and back to the drawing board again. I don't think it will ever catch up.

Then you talk about mail integration. Anyone have any idea how many emails I get in one day of people who reply to a forum notification and it goes back to webmaster? Its a lot. That to me is a simple process. Included with most forums. It sounded like it was going to be a paid feature at one point in time, then it was going to be included in a $25 million license to DNN Pro or Enterprise. That’s not appealing. Its a simple request.

I keep subscribed to these just to try to build up hope, but it doesn't ever happen. It usually just gets worse.

So I'll keep everyone posted. When or if we decide to have a forum custom built, I'll let everyone know. The guys I have on it have worked with DNN forum as well as AF now. And they definitely see my frustration. They have band aided DNN Forum 5.0.2 for me for the time being. But even with AF not having bugs, I still see it seriously lacking features.

None of this seems that complicated to me. I'm no programmer. But none of this seems as complicated as its made out to be. At least tell us what to expect.

UNDER-PROMISE; OVER-DELIVER It's made me a lot of money…

Jan 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I have it from an inside source that the situation is being addressed internally.  Expect to see some changes in the near future that should hopefully make things move faster.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Interesting.

I posted a bit ago that I'm willing to get my hands dirty and help out some as well since it's now an open source project.   I just need some guidance getting started.

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM
jbrunken wrote:

Interesting.

I posted a bit ago that I'm willing to get my hands dirty and help out some as well since it's now an open source project.   I just need some guidance getting started.

It seems strange and funny that 5-6 developers have joined but very little has been done ......

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Edited Jan 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I screwed up and upgraded a site to 7.0, then put a ton of work in migrating the forum post and now the security is fried.  Ugg, now they are dead in the water and I don't have the time or budget to revert them back so I guess we are dead in the water for a while!  Would love to see this expedited but I know we all have our own priorities.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
jmathis wrote:

I have it from an inside source that the situation is being addressed internally.  Expect to see some changes in the near future that should hopefully make things move faster.

Do you have any idea for how long we have been "promised" Active Forums ? For how many years ?

No serious portal will EVER rely on this module.

Take a look at Codeplex DNN projects ( like the blog module for example). And you will get the picture.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Zaratustra, when was the last time you released a module or skin for free to the ecosystem?

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I don't agree with zaratustra, but I can certainly understand where his frustration is coming from.

I purchased Active Forum as a commercial module thinking it was going to be supported for a long time.    Active Forums is the absolute heart of my site.  My users spend about 95% of their time on my site using it.    Now, I'm between a rock and a hard place.   There is no good solution.   You either stick with the old 4.0 version that worked good, but had no 6.2 social integration, or you move to the 5.0 version which is ok, but doesn't yet work with anything past 6.2.X.   It's just a bad situation all around if you have a DNN site that depends on great forum functionality.   I what I'm trying to say is that it's frustrating that DNN Corp. acquired a module that many, many people depend on, and then basically hung us out to dry.

Honestly, I'm tired of complaining about it.   I'd rather be part of the solution and I've volunteered to do what I can.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
christoc wrote:

Zaratustra, when was the last time you released a module or skin for free to the ecosystem?

This is not what i do. I'm not a programmer. Sorry.

Not sure what your reply has to do with what we are talking about.

Personally i wished a proper Forum module existed for DNN (made FOR DNN) a commercial one.

But unfortunately there is no such thing. So we have to struggle with those kind of situations. Run scripts here and there, run more scripts for fix the previous scripts, and get help from users that are willing to do so. For me is Skiant didn't help, i was NOT able to convert to AF. Go figure.

In any case, i'm fully aware that this is an open source project and we should not expect much. This doesn't stop me from saying what i feel about it and what others also talk in private.

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

@Zaratustra, the venom you spit doesn't help to motivate people to get things done for you.

That's how life works though, some people just figure it out earlier than others.

I personally lose interest in contributing open source code every time I read one of your posts. I would rather do the work and fix my own projects than contribute things back to the project to help people out who freeload and don't ever put anything useful into the conversation.

*this is all my own personal opinion*

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I think this is a wonderful answer. I am in a similar boat but didn't buy the old module. I would be furious if I did.

DNN wants to push out new versions to stay competitive but SIMPLE things don't get fixed before the newer version comes out. AF was going to be the cat's meow for DNN 6 now it doesn't even matter.

We have a huge forum and are stuck on DNN 5 with the old forum 5.0.2. Can't upgrade DNN and can't upgrade forum because of what breaks.

I'm no dev, but we have money to spend. Can't even do so. Can you imagine a Porche dealer who had a customer ready and willing to spend $1mil and the answer was I can give you a Hugo for free. It sucks and you can improve on it but it's all we have.

No they go build the freaking car.
Jan 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM
jbrunken wrote:

I don't agree with zaratustra, but I can certainly understand where his frustration is coming from.

Well when i first installed DNN 3-4 years ago, i used the default Blog module. This module is also on Codeplex. It was full of problems, neglected. After a while i switched to Ventrian and never looked back.

This is the same road AF is taking. The very same. But there is no alternative. YAF for DNN is excellent but not exactly made for DNN.

AF was aquired in February 2011 i think. Now we are on February 2013. Two years. AF was promised for DNN 5 and now we are on DNN 7.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
christoc wrote:

@Zaratustra, the venom you spit doesn't help to motivate people to get things done for you.

That's how life works though, some people just figure it out earlier than others.

I personally lose interest in contributing open source code every time I read one of your posts. I would rather do the work and fix my own projects than contribute things back to the project to help people out who freeload and don't ever put anything useful into the conversation.

*this is all my own personal opinion*

Feb 2011 from DNN Corp.

Active Forums

Active Forums will undergo a rebranding and will replace the current DNN Core Forum module.  This means that Active Forums will become an open source product maintained on CodePlex by DNN Corp.  All professional features that are currently available in Active Forums Enterprise will be included in the open source version, with the exception of the Mail Connector.  The Mail Connector will be included with a premium version of the module to be offered with the commercial editions of DotNetNuke.  New features will be added to the module, but some new features might be reserved for the premium version.  In the interest of remaining transparent, no features other than the existing Mail Connector have been identified for the commercial editions of DotNetNuke at this time.  It is understood that DotNetNuke needs to provide a strong and very competitive Forum module for all versions of the platform.  However, it is also understood that certain features maybe better suited for the commercial market.  Migration and upgrade options will be available at time of release.  Current timeframe for release is Q3 of this year.  All versions of Active Forums will remain available on Snowcovered until the new version is released.  Support agreements will also continue to be honored based upon the original version purchased. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I was one of those customer who purchased AF so no freeloading here.  I would also be willing to purchase an upgrade to make it compatible with DNN 7.

And yes, for most custom functionality, I just build it myself.  The forum is just a bigger project than I have time for right now.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I understand the frustration in reading some of the messages posted by user for the AF 5 devs. But In some posts by users I found the same frustration too for an AF forum stagnant and the silence about this project.

I've migrated to AF 5 on my DNN 6.0.4 site. Without many securities about this project and the future of it. Please, keep thi as great motivation.
But now, I'm clear, I'm afraid of abandonment of the project (I home no).

I respect all devs and all my posts was quite but by the other hand I think that for all the users that still belive in AF and still post here in codeplex the DEVs team must give some assurances. All the users are waiting for a stable and complete AF from how much? months?  Are yet here with their post (venom or not) and the this is a good reason to be motivated.

I'd like read here good news. Good timeline. Good release plan and more. But forst of all I hope to see many next relase and the DNN offical site forum converted to AF 5 ;-)

Devs: Go ahead! DNN world will' be gratefull about your work!

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM
mrwebslinger wrote:

I was one of those customer who purchased AF so no freeloading here.  I would also be willing to purchase an upgrade to make it compatible with DNN 7.

And yes, for most custom functionality, I just build it myself.  The forum is just a bigger project than I have time for right now.

Well you are lucky you can fix some of the problems yourself and also add what you need. But most of us do not have that kind of capability.

I wished some REAL information about the project's future was given by the developers, instead of calling us Cheapos.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I have never in my life used the word Cheapos, until now

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

In the least I think we can all agree that the situation right now is not ideal for anyone.

The project is open source now.   If we can get 3 or 4 developers that have the time and desire to see the project move forward, we should be able to make some progress.  I'm volunteering to at least try and be one of those people.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 8:04 PM
jbrunken wrote:

In the least I think we can all agree that the situation right now is not ideal for anyone.

The project is open source now.   If we can get 3 or 4 developers that have the time and desire to see the project move forward, we should be able to make some progress.  I'm volunteering to at least try and be one of those people.

During the Summer the developer of Ckeditor for DNN posted a FIX for AF to work with his provider. If you check, you will see it still "Under Consideration". My request also to include this was not answered.

So developers that want to help and kept out, users that spend their time here are called names.

If the attitude doesn't change, nothing is gonna go forward.

Personally i will refrain from reading and posting here.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM
zaratustra wrote:
jbrunken wrote:

During the Summer the developer of Ckeditor posted a FIX for AF to work with his provider. If you check, you will see it still "Under Consideration". My request also to include this was not answered.

So developers that want to help and kept out, users that spend their time here are called names.

Personally i will refrain from reading and posting here.

What the developer submitted doesn't work with this version.  He submitted a fix based upon the VB version which no longer applies.  Also, a one off patch fix isn't what this project needs right now.  We developers that have time and the motivation to contribute this project.  

That is correct and it doesn't just apply to the developers either.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM
ActiveModules wrote:
What the developer submitted doesn't work with this version.  He submitted a fix based upon the VB version which no longer applies.  Also, a one off patch fix isn't what this project needs right now.  We developers that have time and the motivation to contribute this project.  

That is correct and it doesn't just apply to the developers either.

Your reply reveals the problem: You have already a fixed idea in your mind of what is needed for this software and what not.

So you go ahead with whatever this is. Alone.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

zaratustra - I get you're frustrated but this is not helping.

I am willing and capable to help out.  I've considered starting over with a custom forums module but would rather try to fix this one first.  I have all the source code and have been working to identify what need to be fixed to make it 7.x compatible.  My only holdup is I don't want to duplicate effort or waste time trying to fix something that Will or someone already more familiar with AF is also fixing.

Maybe we just need a little coordination and we can get this thing on track.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I am not sure all the issues either.  For sure I know setting the permissions isn't working but I have been able to do this manually in the database.  I am not a hard core programmer and rely on tools like OpenWebStudio for my custom development.   I have never been one to expect anything for free which is why it was easier when this was a paid module and more attention was put towards keeping it up to date.  If I could help fix the current module, I definitely would.  I might work on an OWS module to at least assist with setting the permissions for the forums as a temporary fix.

I agree that some of the attitudes seem to come from an entitlement position which I have never taken nor like.  It's not constructive and discourages those who are willing to be part of the solution.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I'm encouraged that several people (myself included) have stated that they are willing to help out.   I'm not sure where we go from here, but I'm excited about the prospect of getting started.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM

I've uploaded a patch that converts all the web services to 7.0 format.  Specifically, this fixes the ability to edit the forum permission grid.  I'll wait on Will to review it and post an official build.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Woohoo! Going to start testing this out now.

Thanks,
Will

On Jan 18, 2013, at 9:12 PM, "jmathis" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I've uploaded a patch that converts all the web services to 7.0 format. Specifically, this fixes the ability to edit the forum permission grid. I'll wait on Will to review it and post an official build.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Again, thanks to jmathis for digging in and getting this done.  I've done some pretty basic testing and everything looks pretty good.  I've created a beta package for anyone that want to test this new release on DNN 7.0.

http://activeforums.codeplex.com/releases/view/100584

Thanks,

Will

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I'm starting my own test...

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Where can I post some issues about this 5.0.3 beta over DNN 7.0.2? Here in discussion o directly in ISSUE TRACKER?

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Yes, the issue tracker is probably the best spot.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM
zaratustra wrote:

During the Summer the developer of Ckeditor for DNN posted a FIX for AF to work with his provider. If you check, you will see it still "Under Consideration". My request also to include this was not answered.

I've added this to my ToDo list for the project.  I took a brief look at the patch and barring any unforeseen problems, it should be straight forward to add to the C# version.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM
jbrunken wrote:
zaratustra wrote:

I've added this to my ToDo list for the project.  I took a brief look at the patch and barring any unforeseen problems, it should be straight forward to add to the C# version.

Ingo could to that if needed. Not sure why he wrote a VB version at the time.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

It's not a big deal.  I can work with it as is.