Up and running live with AF 5!

Coordinator
Dec 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I successfully converted my live site to Active Forums 5.0 last night.   Other than a couple of notable exceptions, things seem to be working great.   I even has one person send me a message saying they can now post with their mobile device which they evidently couldn't do before.

The biggest user issue has been a bit of a surprise to me...   I've received a bunch of complaints about the "What's New" module being gone from the home page.  Evidently, it gets uses a lot more than I thought it did.   I've been directing people to the "Active Topics" page in the mean time, but it would sure be a great thing if we get that module back sometime in the not too distant future.  I don't like directing people away from my home page as their default landing spot, especially with all of the other new social stuff there.

The weird technical issue that I experiences was the AF displaying an error message rather than the forum list.   This happened several times and the only way to fix it was to restart my application pool.   I looked at the event logs and I was getting a ton of errors from crawlers hitting the old Active Social users list which I had not removed yet.   I removed that module as well as the AF "What's New" and "Forum Viewer" modules and since then I have not had to restart the app pool.    I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but definitely something to look out for.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it's running.

-JB

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM

What's new is replaced by Journal

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM
skiank wrote:

What's new is replaced by Journal

I know that's the theory, but the reality is that the journal is not, at least currently, a viable replacement.   With the what's new module, you could adjust the template to make it fit your needs.   The journal right now is powerful, but not very flexible when it comes to presentation.   I suppose one might be able to get it to work with some CSS trickery, but that's a very admin friendly method.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM

In old core forum I used the rss feed in news module. May be another way. I don't Know about the customization Level For this module.