Tapatalk support

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Is hard to develop for AF5?

I'd like give a smartphone optimized UI to my users. Actually is not possible create a second  istance of AF module with a custom template optimized for 320pc resolution, right?
An istance of the same forums

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM

It's potentially "possible" using responsive design in the Active Forum templates.  However not all of the module is templateable at this time so some things might not work in a smaller (iPhone) viewport.

I know of two projects focused on mobile access for forums.  One was a DNN Hackathon entry for this forum module by Will Morgenweck: http://frowser.codeplex.com/ and the other was for the older core forums here: http://www.datasprings.com/products/mobile-applications/forum-flow

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM
ForumFlow by DataSprings was actually built for ActiveForums 4.x. It may still work AF 5 depending on how it was built.

Thanks,
Will

On Oct 22, 2012, at 3:32 PM, "Airstream345" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It's potentially "possible" using responsive design in the Active Forum templates. However not all of the module is templateable at this time so some things might not work in a smaller (iPhone) viewport.

I know of two projects focused on mobile access for forums. One was a DNN Hackathon entry for this forum module by Will Morgenweck: http://frowser.codeplex.com/ and the other was for the older core forums here: http://www.datasprings.com/products/mobile-applications/forum-flow

Oct 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Thanks Will, was not aware that module from DataSprings was for AF.  

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Dataspring is very exprensive for my target (only one personal site).

I found this: http://tapanuke.codeplex.com/ but is for the old core forum and, I think, died.

Tapatalk is a good trasversal client. I'm an old developer but rusty otherwise I tried to mske a plugin

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I agree, that TapaTalk support would be a great feature! I have users asking for just that and it would be a nice and easy way to "go mobile".

Note: As I understand, Datasprings' module only supports iPad, not iPhone.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

This is BY FAR the most requested feature on my site.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Looks like TapaTalk has a pretty open API: http://tapatalk.com/api/api.php.  Do you think it would it make more sense to integrate with TapaTalk or extend the TapaNuke project?  I will say, the focus on the forum itself would be the intal priority for this project, including brining things up to speed on DNN 6.x, making some improvements and getting ready for DNN 7.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I don't know anything about the TapaNuke project.

I agree that making the forums work properly with 6/7 is a priority, but I hope that this feature doesn't get forgotten about.

Nov 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM
jbrunken wrote:

I don't know anything about the TapaNuke project.

I agree that making the forums work properly with 6/7 is a priority, but I hope that this feature doesn't get forgotten about.

I agree too

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Airstream345 wrote:

Looks like TapaTalk has a pretty open API: http://tapatalk.com/api/api.php.  Do you think it would it make more sense to integrate with TapaTalk or extend the TapaNuke project?  I will say, the focus on the forum itself would be the intal priority for this project, including brining things up to speed on DNN 6.x, making some improvements and getting ready for DNN 7.

DNN 7 ?

C'on, let's first have a proper release of AF for DNN 6 .......

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Once I get my site upgraded to DNN 7, I'm going to take a look at building a module to add TapaTalk support to Active Forums.   I haven't looked at the TapaTalk API yet, so I'm not entirely sure what's involved, but with the availability of WebAPI in DNN 7, it should be doable.

Ideally, I'd like to see this functionality added to the core AF code, and maybe it will be at some point but having it as a stand alone module to begin with is probably better than not having it at all.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I took a look at the TapaTalk API yesterday.   The no one part of the API looks overly difficult to implement, there are however many, many parts.   The good news is that many are optional, so it might be possible to get minimal TapaTalk functionality added without a monumental effort.

The bad news is that they appear to make it really hard for developers to create a new plugin.   You can't just point the Tapatalk client at an internal URL, you have to register a public "dev" url with them.   This makes testing more hard than it needs to be IMO.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM
jbrunken wrote:

I took a look at the TapaTalk API yesterday.   The no one part of the API looks overly difficult to implement, there are however many, many parts.   The good news is that many are optional, so it might be possible to get minimal TapaTalk functionality added without a monumental effort.

The bad news is that they appear to make it really hard for developers to create a new plugin.   You can't just point the Tapatalk client at an internal URL, you have to register a public "dev" url with them.   This makes testing more hard than it needs to be IMO.

Try to contact them. I looked at tapatalk api some times ago and I think that a testing enviroment may be supported. An internal URL on a testing machine may be open over th internet over a pubblic IP and temporary registered with them?

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Yeah, I know it's possible.   It's just way more difficult than it needs to be IMO.   They should make a version of their app available that includes developer mode that can be pointed at any address.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I'm avaible for testing...

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Given that I haven't written a single line of code yet, it's going to be a while before I have anything ready for testing.   I have been thinking about it a lot though. :)

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I'm patient... And I've a forum in production where may be testable a beta tapatalk module...

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Another problem with this is that Tapatalk uses XML-RPC for it's API which makes it a giant pain to deal with.   I was hoping to use WebAPI to implement this but I don't know if that's going to be practical at all.  I'll probably either have to use a 3rd party XML-RPC library or jump through a ton of hoops to try and get it to work over WebAPI.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I don't know about difference beetwen XML-RPC and WebAPI to create a tapatalk support. Why XML-RCP makes it "a giant paint to deal with" ?

And why you think that WebAPI may not be pratical at all?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It just ads another layer you have to deal with.   It could probably be made to work with WebAPI, but it's really not worth it.  There is a really good XML-RPC library for .NET that does the job fine.   I was able to get a development environment setup last night and I have a basic module that responds to tapatalk's "get_config" call.  I tested it with the the tapatalk app on my iPhone and it worked fine.

No real technical hurdles now, just a whole bunch of work.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Made a bit more progress on this last night.
  • Added Tapatalk Login support to the service.
  • Added a bunch of utility code to make things a bit easier going forward.
  • Figured out a URL structure that works well.
  • Added a WebAPI service that provides redirection to the forum's friendly URL when a user clicks "View in Browser" in the client.
I'll probably create a new project for this here on CodePlex once I'm a bit further along.
Jan 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM
I'm tuned...
Feb 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your work, jbrunken! And would love to help out testing later on.

I've been dreaming about Tapatalk support for long and I have users requesting it.

I really(!) appreciate the effort you put in to this.
Feb 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I made some pretty good progress on this over the weekend.
  • Properly displays forum groups, forums and sub-forums.
  • Properly displays topics
  • Properly displays stickies/announcements in separate tabs on the client
It's a slow process because it's tough to debug and the XML-RPC API can be a pain, but we're getting there.

I'm hoping to have an early beta version that will allow basic reading/posting within a week or two. I have a new project setup for it here on Codeplex but it's not published yet. I will publish it as soon as I have a build that can be downloaded and tried out.
Feb 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Great!! Sounds good!
Feb 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Great!! Sounds good!
Feb 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
More progress last night. Can now properly view threads.

I still have a bit of work to do on this because Tapatalk does not allow HTML in posts. Instead, it supports a very limited set of BBCode. Before returning a post, the tapatalk module needs to convert the relative tags to bbcode (quote, img, href, etc) and strip out the rest.
Feb 9, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Getting closer.

Just made the first ever post to Active Forums from a Tapatalk Client!

Worked like a champ!
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM
jbrunken wrote:
Getting closer.

Just made the first ever post to Active Forums from a Tapatalk Client!

Worked like a champ!
Great news jbrunken! I'm impatient to see the result...
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Ok, I think I have enough of the API implemented that I can start to put together an early beta.

Here's what works so far:

List Forums
List Topics
View Topic
Post Topic
Reply to Topic
Reply to Topic with Quote
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to Forum
Subscribe/Unsubscribe to Topic.

There is a lot more functionality in the API, but the list above represents to "core" functionality IMO.

I just need to get the settings controller done and create the SQL provider scripts.
Feb 10, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Ok, goto to beta...
Feb 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Thanks for doing this, Jason. And for sharing, of course.
Feb 11, 2013 at 4:41 AM
Tonight I finished up the settings page. Now I just need to write the SQL scripts and package it up. Hopefully I'll be able to get an initial version out the door in the next day or two.

I've gone ahead and created a new project for it here on CodePlex:

Tapatalk Module for Active Forums
Feb 12, 2013 at 2:16 AM
First beta version is posted.

I'm working on adding some basic documentation to the project page.