Forum Subscriptions and Groups

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I've put together a site for my neighborhood association. By default, I want everyone that registered on the site to be auto-subscribed to 2 of the forums. But, I want it to be easy for them to unsubscribe from one of them (a general discussion forum with low traffic).

I wanted to be able to do this using the groups feature. I created a group called Discussion Subscriber and set it to Auto mode so all users would be automatically added to the group. Then, I figured people could just leave the group if they didn't want to receive emails. But, when I tried to select the new Group in the AutoSubscribe list, it seems I can only select roles, not groups.

Do people have suggestions for the best way to handle this type of scenario? I know that there's a "subscribe to this forum" checkbox at the forum level but that seems less intuitive than the approach I was trying as I'll have people joining and leaving groups for other aspects of the site.

Developer
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I haven't tested this out myself yet, but for the Group, what if you set it to BOTH instead of Security Role or Group individually?

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:20 PM

That did it! Thanks Chris. I didn't realize that BOTH was an option.

Developer
Sep 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Awesome, good to know!