Mail connector

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:58 AM

I've tried emailing Will about this directly.  I have posted this in several places but never got any kind of reply.  I would love to know the answer to the "mail connector" question.

Is this ever going to exist again?  Only as a DNN Professional upgrade?  

I'll throw this out there.  I have 7 portals, 6 with DNN forum which will eventually be upgraded to AF (been waiting for any sign of life here), and 1 new install with AF already running.  I can honestly say that I could convince all 7 boards to spend $xxxx one time for the mail connector upgrade.  I couldn't and wouldn't convince any of them to spend $XXXX/year to upgrade to DNN professional.

Is this ever going to be offered as an upgraded license?  I mean just about every other forum out there now has this option.  I can't believe this isn't included or at least available.  I like what I read about Will and active modules back when.  At least it was a "pay for what you want to use" philosophy.  I'm just going by some information I ran across when trying to figure this out a month ago or so.  I believe I read that it was going to be only offered to DNN professional.  My thoughts about DNN professional are basically the same as if someone told me I had to pay for a better version of Wordpress.  Wouldn't ever happen.  I'd pay for new modules all day long, but for a better version of the software?  The features aren't that worth it to the clients I represent.  Nor could they afford it.  

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

According to the webinar a couple of weeks ago, Will stated that at this point the mail connector would not be released (and I believe he said not in any edition of DNN) because there was a licensing issue with one of the components of MC.  I didn't get the impression that it was a forever deal, just not something that they could overcome in the immediate future. 

That said, perhaps they could release the source of MC, and perhaps someone could try to figure out how to overcome the limitation via code or another component that would have a more flexible licensing structure.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I agree.  This would be something that I would be willing to pay for.  Thats what makes this module such an enigma to me. It appears to me that it was doing so much better when it was 3rd party.  Now things take forever to get fixed.  He;; I just want the features it does have explained to me and here I sit for days.  Anyone know how to get the "my settings" back?  He explained it in another discussion, but it doesn't make sense to me. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

@supermansrf, Not sure who you are but I haven't received any emails about the mail connector.  I've received a few requests from customers, but nothing that I haven't sent a reply.  However, what dpaulsmith has stated is correct.  We have no intentions of releasing the mail connector at this time.  

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Actually I sent several emails to sales and support@activemodules.com based on information I saw on that site originally, I also sent you a few messages here directly, as well as Chris Paterra. I have all of the sent messages in my sent items from emails.  One of them did get returned undeliverable, but it was the sales@ I believe.  

The problem is that there is a TON of old incorrect information out there about this.  And your choice right now if you have a dnn site and need a forum is an old forum module that doesn't have very many features and some bugs, or this module which is still a work in progress.  Its frustrating.  I'm sure you've heard this already.  

My point is that I have people willing to pay to get things accomplished, and working again rather than sit on a site that looks like it was from the 90's.  I have a forum with about 50k page hits/day.  These guys have close to $100k in their website now.  Trying to determine if we keep plugging ahead or scrap the whole project and go with something that actually gets some attention by more than one person. So I launch a new site to test a new forum module, and the information out there about it is non-existant, or outdated and inaccurate.  

Seems that we can't even pay for something that works any more.