AF 5 for Active Social Migration

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM

What is the status of the AF 5 release so that I can plan my AS to DNN 6.2 Migration. On the webinar last week an updated version of AF 5 was promised for the afternoon of Sep 5th. It looks like a new version still hasn't been posted. Am I missing something? Are we going into another round of waiting for days, weeks or months?

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM

+1

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM

This module will NEVER be finished.

Maybe it will be released but not finished. The sooner we realize this the better.

This is not a negative post but a safe prediction after waiting for AF 5 for more than a year. Now things here move EXTREMELY slow and builds are made with no reason, just for PR purposes.

Costas

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Here's my .02:

Do I want the module(s) done, absolutely.  But in the absence of that, some regular feedback on progress or the lack thereof would make a heck of a lot of difference.  This is especially true if releases are stated to come out at a particular time/date and for whatever reason the deadline can't be met.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:25 PM

@dpaulsmith

I think we all should try understand what is happening. Forums are not a la mode any more. Some of us may like/need them but apparently DNN Corp doesn't agree.

And it is their right to do so. They now believe in the social wave.

Take a look at all the modules that are "pushed" to Codeplex. The Blog module for example. It was neglected for years. The same will happen to the Forums. If it will ever will be released, imagine what it will take for bugs to be fixed or new things to be added. And since we are in 2012 and things move fast, we will always be waiting for something. So will be our projects.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I don't disagree, my comments were not in opposition to yours.

On Sep 13, 2012 9:25 AM, "zaratustra" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

@dpaulsmith

I think we all should try understand what is happening. Forums are not a la mode any more. Some of us may like/need them but apparently DNN Corp doesn't agree.

And it is their right to do so. They now believe in the social wave.

Take a look at all the modules that are "pushed" to Codeplex. The Blog module for example. It was neglected for years. The same will happen to the Forums. If it will ever will be released, imagine what it will take for bugs to be fixed or new things to be added. And since we are in 2012 and things move fast, we will always be waiting for something. So will be our projects.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM
dpaulsmith wrote:

I know.

The real question is what should we do next. What are our options if we need a forum module ?

Sorry for the OT. I will move that elsewere.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM

The only other dnn forum module I know of is yaf.

On Sep 13, 2012 9:51 AM, "zaratustra" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

dpaulsmith wrote:

I know.

The real question is what should we do next. What are our options if we need a forum module ?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email activeforums@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

AF was a mature product successfully used by a lot of customers for many years since 2004. The issue for many of us is that when Active Modules built Active Social they tied in AF as the discussion mechanism for Social Groups and it worked really well. Then came Feb 2011 when DNN Corp bough Active Modules and promised to bake Active Social into the core and then open source AF so it can be used as a forum module by itself or as the discussion mechanism for the social groups in DNN 6.2. We have waited for over three months for the Active Social migration tool to be available and then with much fanfare Will M did a webinar to show us all the direction to the promised land with a supposedly completed AS migration module. The only thing is that we still AF to be able to complete the migration. And we were told during the webinar that there were a few minor issues that came up in testing that needed to be resolved and that a release would come out last Thursday. Now it has been a week and I guess a release was made, but it still isn't complete and I don't want to be testing the migration and testing an incomplete AF at the same time. I guess the move to C# was warranted since the DNN Core is not C#, but apparently that migration has caused more headaches than anticipated.

I, like many others, just want a relatively realistic update on when we can start our migration process with all the required tools being available. In my heart I have to think that Will feels bad about this whole deal because I think he is a good guy. So I don't want to bash him personally and add to his grief. What I want to do is say that DNN Corp hasn't supported Will to ensure that this gets done in a timely manner, and in not doing that they have created so much ill will towards themselves. Sticking your head in the sand just isn't an option if you want to maintain credibility.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM

@cliffhammock

I think the "realistic update" about the status of AF was silenty given. It is called AF RC & RC2. Also it is clear that no deadlines exist since this project was "released" to the "community" At Codeplex.com.

Personally i'm not a customer of Will's previous company. Maybe AF was a good product a decade ago. I have no idea. All i know is that AF was promised before DNN 6 and written from SCRATCH, then it was promised with DNN 6 as an AF 4 update/refresh, now we are at 6.2.3 and we still have a early beta.

And time passes.

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

I just posted the last RC.  Tomorrow will be the official release.