Page Title SEO

Sep 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I see that the Page Titles are not SEO optimized at all.

Example:

Website Name Here - Forums Name Here - Default Group - Demo Forums

or a post

Post Subject - Website Name - Forums Name - Default Group - Demo Forums

Can that be more "controlable" ? Can we select what the Title will be build with ?

Having a Post Title build with 5 elements is crazy and very long.

Thanks

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
How do you know this is not SEO friendly? This setup has been working very well for a few years already. That being said, you can control the title tag along with other meta tags with the templates. I'll need to dig up an example later. I can't remember the exact syntax at the moment and I can't look at the code from my phone :)

Thanks,
Will

On Sep 7, 2012, at 5:38 AM, "zaratustra" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I see that the Page Titles are not SEO optimized at all.

Example:

Website Name Here - Forums Name Here - Default Group - Demo Forums

or a post

Post Subject - Website Name - Forums Name - Default Group - Demo Forums

Can that be more "controlable" ? Can we select what the Title will be build with ?

Having a Post Title build with 5 elements is crazy and very long.

Thanks

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:04 PM
ActiveModules wrote:
How do you know this is not SEO friendly? This setup has been working very well for a few years already. That being said, you can control the title tag along with other meta tags with the templates. I'll need to dig up an example later. I can't remember the exact syntax at the moment and I can't look at the code from my phone :)

Thanks,
Will

Well, it can be very long (5 elements) and Google is ignoring after some specific lenght.

Also having the Website name repeated in all posts works ONLY if your website is a Brand name. Otherwise could hurt the ranking.

And a lot more ...

In any case if it can be controlled via templated, i'm good.

Thanks

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Also something VERY important:

If AF 5 will be used (as an upgrade) of an already established forum (using the old AF or the current Forums module), changing the POST Titles will totally destroy their rank in all Seach Engines.

And that is unwanted. Some of us have worked hard to Rank some keywords.

So the Post Title format should be kept intact after the upgrade. Not sure how this can be done but it should.

Thanks !

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Edited Sep 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Will, do you mean like this:

http://www.activemodules.com/activeforums/support/how-to-update-the-page-title/

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Edited Dec 30, 2012 at 8:07 PM

For people that will convert from the old module, this is very important to tune.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Edited Dec 31, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thank's for the info! Added the Meta in template and removed the Portal Name and Description.