Customizing the RadEditor for Active Forums

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I see that the Active Editor has been removed from the AF 5.0 beta.   Assuming that  this is the case for the final release, I'm wondering what the strategy is for modifying the RadEditor so that it's a little bit more "normal user" friendly.

The rad editor is great for editing a bunch of content on your site, but it's overkill for normal forum usage and it exposes a lot of functionality that I don't necessarily want to expose to normal users.

It also lacks some very basic functionality that the Active Editor has that made life easy for users.

For example, the Active Editor had the ability to add an "Insert Image" item to the toolbar.   This did a simple popup that asked the users to insert the image url.

I don't see a way for a user to add a image to a post using RadEditor without a) Using the Image Manager which I don't want to expose to normal users or b) switching to source mode an pasting a block or proper HTML which is too much for the average user to do.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Upon further review, it appears that RadEditor can easily do everything I need it to.

Adding the "InsertImage" tool through the configuration tool gives the exact behavior I'm looking for.

It's also very easy to apply a custom toolbar layout for a specific role or module.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Is it possible to change the style from Office 2000 ( which is disabled under Forum Settings -> Features -> HTML Input)? I use a custom toolbar with the Finity style and very few options and it worked great on AF 4.3.8?
Mar 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Sorry, ignore that, it is picking up the right editor (the settings page does not always save the HTML editor settings, it's a bit wonky)
Mar 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Some of the settings that existed in 4.x don't exist in 5.x. I'm still going through the code trying to wrap my head around a lot of this.